The Daily Dalek project was begun on May the 9th 2011, by cartoonist and illustrator Anthony Naylor, a.k.a Tone. It is a browsibly silly, Fanfic comic that is updated daily at around midnight, based on the Daleks from The BBC television show Doctor Who. It features the evil tin can characters from the show in humorous situations, acting out seemingly normal lives while doing quite odd things.The comic is a single-panel, Science Fiction, Web Comic aimed for that nerdy itch. The author and cartoonist has stated that the main goal of the comic is an attempt to create a full year of situation cartoons featuring Doctor Who's oldest nemesis.The cartoons are drawn on 100 gm cartridge paper using 0.3, 0.5 and 0.7 ROTRING Tikky graphic pens. To colour the cartoon, LETRASET Permanent twin-tip Promarker pens are used, which give a nice flat colour and blend in nicely. The image is then scanned into Photoshop using 300 dpi to add some shadowing.
This comic provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe: Anthropomorphic version of Daleks in Skaro.
- Everything's Squishier with Cephalopods: The mutant cyborgs inside the daleks are creepy cephalopods.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: It's a comic — about Daleks, and it's Daily (hopefully).
- Food Porn: "The Delicious Miss Dalek is an example of our passion for celebrity food shows"
- Recurring Element: Daleks.
- Time Travel: Daleks developed a time machine similar to the Tardis, except that having no chameleon circuit it could not change shape. By the time of the Last Great Time War, the Daleks had temporal technology at least comparable to their enemy, the Time Lords, themselves. The casing of the Cult of Skaro (if not ordinary Daleks) contained the ability to effect an emergency temporal shift, making their shells in effect a small time machine.
- Split Personality: Daleks are a fictional race bent on universal conquest and domination, utterly without pity, compassion or remorse. Various storylines portray them as having had every emotion removed except hate, leaving them with a desire to purge the Universe of all non-Dalek life. Representing the Daleks in humorous situations, usurps their power, giving them a split personality which on occasion even renders them as cute.