Webcomic: The Artist Is Dead
The world beyond the door is a strange one. It is crumpled and surreal and funny-looking and perhaps, at times, perplexing.
But thatís all right. The mystery is part of it. This is a story about creating the correct answer.
. . . There is also a monster in it. So watch out for that.The Artist is Dead! is a handmade webcomic about five living drawings — a woman, a witch, a child, an elderly man, and an unfinished figure drawing — forced to deal with their own neuroses and a World of Chaos after an Eldritch Abomination murders their own artist.The comic began in 2011 and was updated regularly on Tuesdays and Fridays. It concluded on April 2013.
The Artist Is Dead! provides examples of:
- Anachronic Order: Attained via flashbacks and perspective flips.
- Art Initiates Life
- Author Existence Failure: An in-universe example.
- The Assimilator: The Corpse's main goal.
- The Blank: The Figure lacks color and facial details shared by the other characters.
- Dead Artists Are Better: Oh my, NO.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Exquisite Corpse
- Hedge Maze: The setting of the 5th chapter.
- Jigsaw Puzzle Plot
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Sometimes as a plot point, as seen when the woman and the figure must bridge a gap... Between one page and the next.
- Nameless Narrative: There is nary a proper noun to be found in this comic.
- Mad Libs Catchphrase: The witch has one that's mixed between this and a magical incantation. "The word is X."
- Played with in one page. The word is Sarcasm.
- Madness Mantra: HOW DARE YOU!
- Medium Awareness: The Fourth Wall remains intact, but the characters know they're drawings.
- Minimalist Cast
- Ontological Mystery
- Posthumous Character: The Artist.
- Power of Trust : One of the main themes.
- Reality Warper: The Corpse. The Witch too, to a lesser extent.
- Robe and Wizard Hat: The Witch dresses like this. Plus scary, shiny Opaque Lenses.
- Room Full of Crazy: The universe is one. The Corpse is almost a walking example of this.
- Title Drop: "Dear, listen to me very carefully. The Artist is Dead."
- Villainous Breakdown: A spectacular one here.
- Visible Silence
- Words Can Sunder My Bones: The Witch's casting.
- White Void Room: Whenever the characters are on a mostly blank page.