Superidol is a Web Comic written for artbomb.net by Warren Ellis and illustrated by Colleen Doran. Leon, a reporter for a pop culture magazine tells what he sees in a "post-Final Fantasy, post-William Gibson, post-post-ironic western society" where pop culture had run dry and J-POP was beginning to catch on. The new international sensation is Rei Rei, a computer-generated Idol Singer whose voice was made from 200 voice samples. (Er, sound familiar?) She becomes a phenomenon, a hit with the magazines and on the internet. Everyone wants to be her, boys and girls alike. What happens when a meme complex becomes self-aware?It can be read here.
Tropes related to the webcomic:
- Apocalyptic Log
- Assimilation Plot
- Bare Your Midriff: Rei Rei's outfit.
- Evil Diva
- For Happiness: What Rei Rei's music appears to be all about.
- Idol Singer
- Japanese Pop Music
- Memetic Mutation: Demonized. A cluster of infectious parasitic ideas, In-Universe.
- New Media Are Evil
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: In-story; features from every nationality were pulled into the design of Rei Rei so she would appeal to the entire world.
- Serial Escalation: First the girls were just dressing up like Rei Rei, then they started getting plastic surgery to look like her, then they started getting their names legally changed to Rei Rei, then they started to alter their race and height to match Rei Rei's, then the transexual Rei Reis show up, then Rei Rei voice synthesizers were invented...
- Smoking Hot Sex: Between Leon and Nola
- Tastes Like Diabetes: Rei Rei's music, In-Universe, to Leon.
- Virtual Celebrity : Rei Rei
- The Virus: Rei Rei herself.