Webcomic / Sore Thumbs
by Owen Gieni and Chris Crosby is a combination political satire and gamer webcomic. The premise is based on poking equal fun at political extremes by strawmanning them
in the form of the main characters.
The storyline follows Cecania, a Democrat who wants to make drive-through abortions available, her brother Fairbanks, a Republican who refuses to read the Bible lest he find something in it to question, her best friend Harmony, a ditzy and self-centered brain surgeon, and Sawyer, an ex-soldier who lost his manhood in Iraq and owns a pet talking miniature polar bear as they work in the eponymous video game store, Sore Thumbs.
You can find the comic here
The comic ran into some Schedule Slip
issues in 2013, and the updates got less frequent until they stopped entirely in May 2014. The most recent word from the authors (May 2016) is that they intend to bring the comic back as soon as they have time.
Provides examples of:
- Abandoned Info Page: The characters page was never once updated. The creators joked that updating it after all that time would feel like cheating, and finally deleted it in 2009.
- Art Shift: Start at the beginning, then jump to the latest. Shocking difference. It started off as an Animesque webcomic, and then got shifted to an American style.
- And in 2009 the comic seems to have made a reboot, and the grayscale comic is changed to full color.
- Animated Actors: Several filler strips are interviews with the character's actors.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Cecania saw this coming.
- Animals Hate Him: Fairbanks gets mauled by Coleman a lot, because his head looks like a tennis ball.
- Bleached Underpants: There's a story arc where Cecania takes a job as a hooker.
- Butt Monkey: Jeff (free with chili dog)
- Call Back: When Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray, Fairbanks went into a Tranquil Fury and stalked across the country until he found the stingray and murdered it with a speargun. When Charlton Heston died, Fairbanks went into a tranquil fury and stalked across the country until he found a random chimpanzee and murdered it with a speargun.
- Character Development: Cecania went from a whiny, put-upon Purity Sue to a liberal whackjob. Fairbanks went from a conservative whackjob to being a conservative ditz of epic proportions.
- Continuity Reboot: Occurred in July 2009.
- And now it seems the comic has returned to the original continuity.
- Deliberately Monochrome: there's a story arc where Cecania gets shipped off to Guantanamo Bay for wearing a skimpy outfit on national television. In the otherwise black and white world, Cecania's hair is pink. The guard states: "I find I enjoy the color of your hair. I was unaware that more than two colors existed." The comic has evolved to full color.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Fairbanks originally had a chin.
- Gag Boobs: Cecania has at least DD's. They can turn a stiff Master Chief costume into fetish wear.
- Golden Mean Fallacy: Arguably the political agenda.
- I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!: Cecania was banned from wearing two-piece bathing suits because her half-naked form is considered a weapon of mass destruction.
- She tried to use this on Sawyer extremely early on, but there were... problems.
- Intercontinuity Crossover: Cecania is friends with DiDi from Ménage à 3. Furthermore, Stasia from Marry Me is famous in the world of Sore Thumbs And Parker from the same comic has stopped by, bringing the conclusion that this is the same world. Finally, when Fairbanks is adopted by a black family, his black brother's best friend is Wiley Schlub from Wicked Powered. Notably, both of those comics are written by the Crosby brothers of Keen Spot.
- Kid from the Future: Mikey Kaduck Jr.