Sonic and Pals
is a Sprite Comic
by Trevor Fayas parodying the Sonic the Hedgehog
series. At it's most basic level, it is Bob and George on steroids.
Steroids made of Sonic.
It is most notable because of the fact that it started in 2003 and has been updated with a new comic nearly
every day since January 2004 and has thus become the longest-running Sonic the Hedgehog Sprite Comic
on the web. (Which isn't saying much.)
The comic has many storylines from the characters playing through Sonic games, to Terminatoresque
plots, to adaptions of Shakespeare's plays
, to Demon hunting spacemen. It has been concluded as of June 19th, 2011, over seven years after it began.
Tropes present in this work include
- Abnormal Ammo - Toilet seats?
- Action Girl - Amy, Cream, Kristy, Selly, Pearl, and Kylen.
- Adaptation Distillation - A lot of it.
- Affectionate Parody - To the Sonic the Hedgehog, naturally.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot - Durandal's first move after freeing himself from the computer system is to fry Sonic.
- All Devouring Black Hole Loan Sharks - Amy borrows money from a Loan Shark who kidnaps Cream, Cheese and Selestial when she can't pay it back.
- Apocalypse How - Two X-4s by different groups. Chaos faction destroys the alternate universe, Hero faction lets the Hunters destroy theirs.
- Almighty Janitor - Mary.
- Author Avatar - Trey (The Author) is represented by Shadow the Hedgehog.
- Badass Longcoat - Andrew. (possibly Kylen as well)
- Banana Peel - Used here. Lampshaded by Andrew in the same strip.
- Battle Couple - Justified by Andrew, Hunters are encouraged to find a partner so they have something to protect.
- Captain Obvious - Lampshaded when Trey points out that Durandal is feeling a lot worse than normal. (2/15/10)
- Celestial Bureaucracy - Mark the spirit guide charges people for his services.
- Cerebus Syndrome - While still pretty funny its starting to turn in this direction.
- Chew Toy - Sonic.
- Cloud Cuckoolander - Sonic.
- Convection Schmonvection - Lava being hurled at Sonic.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment - Sumo. Toilet. House.
- Crazy-Prepared - Cream carries a large Gun around with her for no reason ...
- Creator Breakdown - Basically why this storyline happened.
- Cute Bruiser - Cream, possibly Pearl.
- Determinator - At one point, Andrew sustains injuries grave enough to easily kill a normal person. Yet he is able to open a secure hatch by punching it with a broken arm and adventure through a dangerous abandoned ship on shattered legs through sheer willpower.
- Do-Anything Robot - Emerl.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him - Metal Robotnic was recently killed just to tie up loose ends (He was presumed to have done this to Eggman offscreen earlier). And now the alternate universe was destroyed to set up Neo Mephiles.
- Drowning My Sorrows - With Pixie-sticks.
- Enemy Mime - Lampshaded
- Expy - Hmm, there is a completely stupid character that obsesses over a certain type of food and yet can still save the day. This is a bit too fimilar...
- Most of the cast is annoyed by Trey's attempts at comedy, thinking of him as cliché and over-the-top. While not as definite as the previous one, it's still there.
- Eye Beams - Metal Sonic, however he uses them as more of a Mundane Utility then he does for actually combat.
- Fun with Acronyms - B.E.A.R
- Girl with Psycho Weapon - Always obey the psycho with the hammer.
- Gold Digger: Amy.
- Gratuitous Japanese - The First and Second time Tails is Glomped by a hunter.
- The Gunslinger - Horus.
- Hammerspace - Turbo Sonic doesn't know where they came from but he's got ...
- Human Popsicle - here
- But getting him out is more ... tricky
- "I Am" Song - "I am the powerful Author!, I am the powerful Author!"
- Jedi Mind Trick - The Author uses these to maintain the audiences Willing Suspension of Disbelief by making them forget Plot Holes.
- Jerkass - The Author (In-universe). He's an egotistical douche who tortures the other characters For the Lulz and gets all sulky when The Dog Bites Back.
- Karma Houdini: Amy, she ended up draining Knuckles' bank accounts for her own selfish reasons and then went to a loan shark who ended up kidnapping her friends. She got away with it and kept right on doing it.
- Loads and Loads of Characters - While the franchise does seem to introduce a new character for each game, Sonic and Pals seems to
introduce two to four new characters every other storyline.