This is a totally normal high school.Sacred Heart
is a webcomic by Liz Suburbia, which she describes with the tagline "Highschoolers in unholy land." The blog Hideous Energy
refers to it as "a kind of weird teen-drama where dead bodies show up and no one really freaks out too much." The central characters are Ben Schiller and Otto Mahoney, a Tomboy
and Chivalrous Pervert
friend duo who bond through shared interest in booze, tattoos and zombie movies. Though still in progress, so far the plotline has involved murders, crappy relationships, fires in movie theaters, and pretentious teenage Wiccans.
This comic shows examples of:
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Ben, while watching Dominic and a mohawked boy in the woods.
- Armoured Closet Gay: Dominic is a star player on the football team, but he also spends some time making out with/going down on a guy in the woods when he's supposedly at Candy's party.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Otto may sneakily lick people's shoes and wear his girlfriend's underwear over his face, but he's very honest and open about it, follows certain boundary rules he's set for himself, and doesn't hide it from his friends or girlfriend. He also hates it when people cheat.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Ben generally stays out of trouble, while her sister Empathy leaves home suddenly and without warning on a regular basis.
- Friendly Tickle Torture
- Garage Band: Colin's band, The Crotchmen.
- Gender-Blender Name
- Make-Out Kids: Most crowd scenes in the comic feature at least one couple like this.
- Named After Somebody Famous: John McLane, Ben's dog.
- Nonindicative Name: "Empathy" Schiller regularly disappears from home, deeply worrying her sister, especially because teenagers keep getting murdered in their neighborhood, but keeps up her flighty habit anyway. She's also a brutal field hockey player who doesn't hesitate to insult other players.
- No Periods, Period: Subverted by Ben, who discusses her choice of pants being based on how bloated she feels.
- Oblivious to Love: Otto's questions about her taste in men and pointed jokes about jealousy take a long time to get through to Ben.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Ben, made even clearer when a guy at Candy's party asks "So what's "Ben" short for, anyway?"