The adventure comic strip is back!... With a twist!Rip Haywire
is an Affectionate Parody
of old school Adventure comic strips created by Dan Thompson. Originally published online by Viper Comics, it has since entered the newspaper syndication sector.
Rip is a self-styled soldier of fortune who travels around the world battling assorted villains. Joining Rip are his talking collie, TNT, his ex-girlfriend Cobra and a Tagalong Kid
It can be found online here
This comic strip series provides examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Cobra Carson.
- Art Evolution:
- When the comic first started, the artwork is even more stylized, even though it almost remained the same. Rip's Lantern Jaw of Justice noticeably changed in later strips, plus TNT's appearance changes from time to time (especially the fact he originally had black ears). The strip was also originally just a three-panel strip, but has expanded to four panels by the end of its first year.
- Also, compare the current syndicated strip to the early Viper Comics version◊.
- Catch Phrase:
- "Sweet Molly McX Y!" and any variant of this (alliteration sometimes included).
- "The name's Haywire."
- Cheated Angle: Cobra's black hair is nearly always behind her head, no matter the angle, effectively framing it.
- Early-Installment Weirdness: In the (now out-of-print) 2007 Viper Comics online version as well as the first submission for syndication, the comics are more different than what they are today. Rip was originally a cargo pilot who looks more like Steve Canyon but with a big, bulbous nose, while TNT was initially a hot-blooded wolf dog with a No Indoor Voice (but was later changed into a wimpy Pomeranian and then a parrot) and Cobra was originally called "Reno". Also, the art in this version looks a little more abstract.
- Last Name Basis: Most villains often refer to Rip by his last name. Everyone else just calls him "Rip".
- No Indoor Voice: TNT was rather loud-mouthed in the original webcomics.
- No Name Given: R.J. started out this way, before he was adopted by Rip and Cobra.
- Person as Verb: Rip sometimes uses his own last (or full) name this way, usually during some combat scenes.
- Relationship Upgrade: At first, Rip and Cobra have a tremendous love/hate relationship. But three years later, they eventually get married, despite continuing to bicker sometimes.
- Running Gag: A character (especially Rip) calling another character a pop culture character/mascot/celebrity name, doubling as The Nicknamer.
- Share Phrase: "Zip it, (insert nickname here)", even though it's more of a Borrowed Catchphrase. Also, "Talk!" when confronting someone else, usually an enemy.
- Tie-In Novel: Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa, actually a graphic novel.
- Written Sound Effect: Recent comics use "KA-FIST!", "KA-CRASHIES!", "KA-PUNCH!", "KA-FLARE!", "KA-CAR!", and stuff like that, especially with Rip's fist noises. Most of them are Unsound Effects.