"2112?! No freakin' way...ANCIENT HISTORY!"RetroBlade is a long-form Science Fantasy Webcomic, featuring Time Travel and symbiotic forces known as Augments.In the year 3007 a 'reality crash' has wiped everything out, and the last known survivor Axel Kepler is working his way backwards through time, trying to figure out where it all went wrong.
— Axel Kepler
With a severely out of touch Database, a Transmutation Device for food (that, if anything, makes molecules less edible than they were before) and only a cryptic Blueprint left by his sister to guide him, he needs help…He needs a Team.Together, they will find out how to fix things, who the good guys really are… and why people from the future have such cheesy haircuts.
‘Meanwhile’, a few millennia earlier… a young boy named Magnus is bestowed with remarkable powers he was never meant to have, and chooses not to save the world with them.Thank goodness for rose-tinted specs…RetroBlade was recently reviewed in this video and this blog post. The video contains more eye candy and the blog post contains more juicy scientific and metaphysical speculation.
This webcomic contains examples of:
- Another Dimension: The 5th Dimension where the Universal Guardian resides, and where Magnus first obtains the Retroblade.
- Combat Tentacles: The preferred appendage of the Universal Guardian, whom seems to be able to mould and summon them at will. She is also capable of holding tiny babies with them without causing harm, so they are quite dexterous.
- Dreaming of Times Gone By: During the Prologue (after the Preface), the events surrounding Magnus, the Guardians, the 5th Dimension and the mysterious devil dude are visions from a dream Alexis has.
- Everybody's Dead, Dave: In the year 3007, Axel and his sister Alexis are the last known survivors of the reality crash. This trope reaches it's full capacity when Alexis dies here.
- Eyepatch of Power: Both Axel and Alexis have a bionic eye with an Augmented Reality Interface.
- Half-Identical Twins: Axel and Alexis are fraternal twins, but look so alike and even share the same facial scar, which is as yet unexplained.
- High-Tech Hexagons: Various structures in the year 2112, including the Ozone- a barrier surrounding the entire city- are composed of hexagons.
- No Time to Explain: This line is used by Doctor T here.
- The Omnipresent: The Universal Guardian, as a 5D being, has the ability to view everything in our dimension at once.
- Pointy Ears: The Guardians (and any later bearers of Original Augments) all have pointy ears. The longer an Augment is borne, the pointier their ears become.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: Similarly, the Guardians (and later bearers) have specific hair colours based on the Augment they carry. Some colours are more unnatural-looking than others.
- Quit Your Whining: During the Prologue, when Astra (the chibi A.I installed Axel's eye chip) gives Axel a pep talk to rekindle his hope after his sister dies.
- Replacement Goldfish: Astra is an A.I installed in Axel's eye chip, and based on his deceased twin sister Alexis.
- Technopath: Doctor S has this ability, combined with some low level electrical Augmentation.
- Techno Wreckage: A little earlier than the year 3007, this would be prevalent. By 3007 it's all crumbled a lot more and become more broken down dust and debris.
- Vow of Celibacy: Guardians are sworn to celibacy, for various reasons; the main reason being that their Augment can be transferred to their offspring.