From left to right: Gavin, Rudy, Rain and Maria.
- "A story for boys, girls, and everyone in-between..."
A slice-of-life Dramedy
webcomic created by JocelynSamara
. If you're looking for the Sony PlayStation 3
video game also called rain
, see here
In public, Rain
appears to be your average teenage girl. She enjoys shopping and dressing pretty and whatnot, but the fact is that she’s hardly average. Some would debate she’s even a girl! In truth, Rain is a male-to-female transsexual
At age 13, circumstance lands Rain in the custody of her Aunt Fara
, whom she finally revealed her secret to
. Rather than see Rain suffer, her aunt decided to allow her to dress like a girl around the house if it would make her feel better. And it did… for a while, anyway. As time went by, Fara noticed Rain had become a bit of an antisocial hermit for the sake of being able to dress up more frequently
. Already shy to begin with, this probably wasn’t a step in the right direction.
Fara came up with an interesting (but ballsy) plan to remedy this, but keep Rain happy. It took a long time and a lot of work, but she saved up enough money to move the two of them to a new town where nobody would know them. They acquired a fully female wardrobe for Rain, and she was enrolled in a high school
AS a girl. It would be potentially dangerous for Rain if she were ever caught, but her nature made her seek perfection in her presentation before going out into the world… Well, her voice could use some work anyway
Rain updates are on weekdays. It can be read here
, or here
, or on Jocelyn's DeviantART gallery
Has a character page here
This webcomic contains examples of:
- Animesque: Has all the different anime tropes and references, but is not drawn by a Japanese person.
- Asexual: Heather claims to be this, but when she gets drunk...
- Also Brother Arthur, according to Word of God.
- Chanel, though she is also romantically attracted to females, and in a relationship with Maria.
- The Atoner: Brother Arthur has a FtM brother. He wants to help out Rain and Rudy because of the issues he caused his brother when they were younger. Aiken seems to also be on his way to this.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Rain is very popular with the guys
- Bi the Way: Fara and Ky(lie).
- Black Sheep: Rain's elder brother Aiken seems to be viewed as this.
- Bland-Name Product: Video game systems and games (and possibly other things) in Rain's world tend to be lawyer-friendly versions of their real life counterparts. For instance, the "Super Nintendo" entertainment system instead becomes the "Super Funtendo" entertainment system, and the game Battletoads becomes "Fighter Frogs". And it's just as hard as ever.
Six years ago.
Gavin: Wow! We got all the way to level 12 together!
Ryan: I wonder how many there are.
Gavin: Wow! We just got piss-pounded on the first level!
Rain: Out of how many again?
- And as of the end of Chapter 10, we have Fabio Cart. You know what, let's just start a list of all future Bland Name Products.
- There's also fake anime names, like "Kill Book", "Dragoncube A", and "Hardsteel Physicist".
- As a lampshade of the entire concept, one Rain Delay has Rain reciting an Overly Long List of all the video games she has. Rudy at the end asks, "Did you just make some of those up?"
- Blinding Bangs: Brett's eyes are completely covered by his hair, to match his apparently cool disposition.
- Bonus Material: Jocelyn is interspersing bonus omake strips between her regular chapters under the title "Rain Delay".
- Butt Monkey: Gavin.
- Cast Full of Gay: Most of the core cast is homosexual, bisexual, or transgender, with the notable exception of Gavin.
- Character Title
- Cheeky Mouth: A lot of the time...
- Color Failure: Rain's reaction to Gavin asking her if she happened to be familiar with his childhood friend, Ryan Flaherty.
- Maria gets in on the action here.
- The entire Halloween party loses its color when  Rudy, in a drunken stupor, kisses Rain.
- Rain gets another one when she finds out  Vincent used to be a Vivian
- Coming-Out Story: Rain's coming out as a woman is detailed within a bonus chapter of the "Rain: Volume 1" physical collection.
- Corner of Woe: Not in a corner, but on page 336, Maria mopes by Puddle for one whole panel after blundering.
- Cure Your Gays: According to Rudy's flashback, this was the reasoning his parents used for sending him and Maria to a catholic school after Rudy came out to them. Considering how they reacted, it's no wonder Maria has kept silent about her own sexual preferences.
- Additionally, in chapter 7, it is revealed that everyone thinks Rudy's homosexuality has been cured, after he kisses Rain.
- Death Glare: Maria is a master at it. She could teach T-800 robots a thing or two about how to do it.
- Rain busts one out at Rudy. It's super effective!
- Dude, She's a Lesbian: Rudy says this exact line to Gavin when he was hitting on Maria in this strip.
- Faceless Masses: The cover of Chapter 8.
- Fictional Media: "Black Wings, Kaminari", "Halloween Princess Pandora", and "Mad Giga-Kaizer X" are all fictional manga and anime that Rain and her friends have collected.
- Flashback: There is one in the prologue, and another when Rudy is explaining why Maria is in the closet.
- Foreshadowing: The prologue, for one. The appearance of Aiken is also foreshadowed by Fara's conversation with Kellen. Also, some of the Halloween costumes are hinted at before they are revealed.
- Maria's comments here and here make alot more sense when you learn that Emily is pansexual and used to date Maria.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble:
- Melancholic - Rain
- Phlegmatic - Gavin
- Choleric - Maria
- Sanguine - Rudy
- Other notable regulars would be...
- Fara - Phlegmatic/Sanguine
- Kylie - Leukine
- Chanel - Melancholic/Phlegmatic
- Gaydar: Rain doesn't seem to know what one is...
- This gets played for laughs later. When Rain first meets Ky, face to face, neither of them can tell the other is a Transsexual.
- The Generic Guy: Rand M. Guy (AKA Randy) is the least characterized of the ensemble cast, and as of yet the only recurring character who has had no dialogue. He appeared in chapters 1 (where he gets stared down by Maria) and 6 (where Rain and Gavin both spit their drinks on him). His normalness is lampshaded not only by his name, but from Word of God and Bonus Material. (No one cares that he is bisexual).
- Gender Reveal: In-universe, with Rain coming clean about her secret to the core cast at the end of Chapter One. Also much later with Rain's brother Aiken. It does not go well.
- Gilligan Cut: The page after Rudy crashes into Rain, and sees Rain's "junk" under her skirt:
Rain (thinking): And even if he did, he probably wouldn't even believe what he saw, right? Yeah, I'm sure he wouldn't tell anyone...
Rudy (to Maria and Gavin): Hey, guys! You'll never guess what I saw!
- Halloween Episode: Basically all of Chapter 6.
- Hand Behind Head: Seems a favored trope of the author as it's everywhere.
- If It's You, It's Okay: How Rudy eventually becomes attracted to Rain, despite being predominantly homosexual otherwise. Some of the comic's characters however, have expressed skepticism as to whether or not their romantic relationship will survive Rain's plan to fully transition one day.
- It doesn't... but not from any loss of Rudy's feelings for Rain. Rather, Rain comes to the realization that it was she, in truth, who did not have truly romantic feelings towards him. She had been flattered by the attention he paid her, and accepted the dating because she enjoyed his company, and, in her mindset, dating boys was something that "normal girls" did. But she simply lacks any true romantic attraction towards males, and had simply not fully realized it. Whether this means she is a lesbian is still unknown (though it seems to be implied due to other recent story events), but the two have parted the relationship amicably and remain friends.
- Improvised Weapon: Aunt Fara's improvised weapon of choice? Student artwork.
- Ironic Nick Name: Rain is actually not that fond of rainy days at all.
- Keet: Rudy is one, being small, loud, colorful, hyper...
- Kissing Under the Influence:
Rain: I wish I could say I was surprised to see my aunt getting drunk and making out with a stranger...
- At the end of Chapter 6, a drunk and cross-dressing Rudy kisses Rain, complicating their relationship.
- Lampshade Hanging: In Girls, one of the characters, Holly, gave this jewel. Note that she prolably stepped outside to wait until her ears stopped ringing:
Holly: Umm... Where's our teacher during all of this?
- Love Dodecahedron: Too many twists to list here.
- Mama Bear: Aunt Fara. Full stop. (In spite of not being anyone's actual biological parent.) Anyone who threatens the welfare of her loved ones is met with varying levels of violence, ranging from a stern lecture to assault via student homework. This even extends to protecting her family from other family, as Rain's elder brother Aiken learns the hard way...
- Meaningful Name: St. Hallvard (the patron saint of the school) was a martyr who died protecting a slave woman from further abuse.
- New Transfer Student: The story kicks off with Rain's first day after transferring to a new school.
- No Periods, Period: Implied to be averted here. Rain is very prepared.
- Nosebleed: Rain's gym outfit has a rather distracting effect on Maria. Preceded by a Luminescent Blush and comboed with Color Failure.
- Oblivious to Love: Rain, to Maria and Gavin's crushes on her.
- Occidental Otaku: Rain is fond of manga, and Gavin is into anime.
- Old Flame Fizzle: When Rain and Gavin hang out again, they feel it's not the same as when they were kids, and Gavin thought Rain was Ryan. Somewhat subverted, as Rain and Gavin still remain friends, and Gavin has a crush on Rain.
- Painting the Medium: Rain's "girl voice" is represented by slanted text. This especially stands out when she slips into her male voice.
- Parental Substitute: Rain's snarky aunt Fara took Rain in when Rain was 13, after "circumstances" separated Rain from her parents.
- In chapter 6, it is revealed that Rain's mother, Liriel, is deceased after suffering from a fatal illness. Later, in chapter 13, we learn that Rain's father, Marcus, apparently abandoned his family and disappeared after his wife became ill. His current status and whereabouts are unknown.
- Pet Homosexual: Inverted with Gavin who is straight and cisgendered in a Cast Full of Gay.
- Running Gag: Fara always gets Jessica's name wrong.
- School Girl Lesbian: Maria.
- Sinister Minister: Father Quenton, the school principal, is established as this in his opening panel. (Ok, he is probably the lower-grade "high-school" version of evil incarnate, but he probably still qualifies.) Also established to have a Bald of Evil.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Rain in a gym uniform invokes this reaction from Maria...and a good section of the audience.
- May not count, actually, considering Rain is of Maria's preferred gender...
- Gavin gets images of this nature quite often when he's around Rain.
- Sweat Drop: Both Rain and Rudy displays one the script after their collison.
- Transsexual: Should be pretty obvious by now. While Rain is an Mt F transsexual, the character of Ky(or Kylie) also falls under this category, as he is genderfluid.
- As does Aiken's ex-fiancee Jessie evidently.
- Vincent who used to be a Vivian
- Anastacia, and her father accepts that she is Transsexual
- Understatement: There is a brief Flashback that shows Rudy coming out, with his dad calling the operator for a young priest and an old priest, and his mom crying badly. The page title? Slight Overeaction.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal:
- Gavin is rather shocked that cute girl Rain is biologically boy, his childhood friend Ryan. He gets over it eventually.
- Aiken is very angry when he finds out his fiancée Jessica is Transsexual, and breaks up the engagement. It doesn't help that she told him only because she knew she wouldn't be able to hide the truth any more. He calms down, but doesn't seem to really get over it. And then he finds out about Rain.
- Unwanted Harem: It seems that every kid in the school with a compatible sexual orientation gets a crush on Rain. The attention is very much unwanted, for fear that someone will find out her secret.
- Wham Line: Take a guess.