is a collection of manga-like
webcomics written and drawn by one Pai. The site's name comes from its gag-a-day comic of the same name, which is about a cat-girl named Mayple, her kitsune brother Zero and their friend Emella, and all their crazy shenanigans.
The second webcomic hosted on the site is named Looking for a Title
(that is its actual title; it's not a placeholder), which is a Tokyo Mew Mew doujinshi
, featuring Aoyama Mana, Ichigo's daughter. It is described as "Tokyo Mew Mew but tougher"
, but it still has plenty of light-hearted moments.
The artist is currently planning two other doujinishis: Ace Attorney
and Tales of Symphonia
, neither of which will probably feature many (if any at all) characters from its source material (very justified in the case of Elves of Sylvarant
, as it takes place thousands of years before the game does).
Quasi Cake provides exanples of...
- All Just a Dream: Bizarre dreams apparently run in Mayple and Zero's family.
- Animated Adaptation: One is being planned for Quasi Cake as the artist experiments with doing animation.
- Animesque: It even reads right to left.
- Art Evolution: Lampshaded and then inverted in a strip. "Who am I and what have I done with my art ability?!"
- Art Shift: A temporary one when the artist apparently couldn't use her tablet and had to hand-draw and scan in new pages instead. While you can tell it's the same artist, there are a few differences in shading style.
- Author Avatar: Pai, the artist, appears in the comic a few times, occasionally as a result of one of the characters breaking the fourth wall and addressing her. But even though she uses a picture of Mayple as an avatar for site updates, there is a clear distinction between her and the character Mayple.
- Bad Liar: Everyone seems to want to lie about their math grades and does so very, very poorly. Subverted in that it ''always'' works.
- Bishie Sparkle: Zero spends a lot of his time trying to obtain bishie sparkles, usually with humorous results.
- Bishounen: Even if he doesn't sparkle, Zero qualifies as this.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Zero rants about Pai's other webcomic.
- Cat Girl: Mayple. It apparently comes with its own set of problems.
- Cloudcuckoolander: All the characters show elements of this, but Mayple definitely takes the cake.
- Deadpan Snarker: Zero, when he's not flailing around about not having bishie sparkles or talking about how amazing he is. The titles for the individual strips are often pretty sarcastic, too.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: Mayple just can't do it.
- Hammerspace: Zero pulls a net out of nowhere. Lampshaded by the strip's title.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Zero; the cast page describes him as arrogant but goes on to say that he has a soft spot for his sister.
- Kubrick Stare: Chiwacat, Emella's creepy cat... chihuahua... thing.
- Lethal Chef: Mayple's pretty close, though it's more that she's so pathetically inept at doing basic things like turning on an oven.
- My Nayme Is: Mayple.
- Only One Name: Subverted — the characters are never called by their surnames in the actual strip, but the info page gives their last names.
- Only Sane Man: In a cast full of eccentric characters, Zero is probably the closest to this and usually serves this role in gags (except where bishie sparkles are concerned).
- Reverse Psychology: Emella unintentionally uses it on Mayple.
- Running Gag: Zero's quest to get bishie sparkles.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: Le gasp!
- Schedule Slip: The comic settled into a regular schedule after a few weeks, and it's kept up with the schedule since. The site updates, on the other hand, would lead people to think that the comic hasn't been updated since November.
- Shout-Out: Happens every few strips or so, such as to Axis Powers Hetalia or Dragon Quest.
- Ship Tease: Played for Laughs since these moments are always subverted in some way by the fourth panel.
- Shipper on Deck: Mayple herself. Always.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Zero. His reasons for liking winter pretty much spell it out.
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: What happens when Mayple and Emella put on fake mustaches. Zero mocks them for it.