Webcomic / Puck
Puck is a weekly webcomic that started as a comic strip of the McMaster University newspaper starring Robin "Puck" Goodfellow, an ancient fairy of lore whose life changes when someone leaves a dog-girl named Daphne on her doorstep and starts attending the university to "increase her earning power." There she meets Phoebe, a hot she-devil and daughter of the university president, who just so happens to be Satan, and Colin, her boyfriend.
The series is divided in two; the first part happens during Puck and company's university years (the original run of the strip in black and white); the second part occurs after a time skip of 10 years (the real time between the last strip and the restart).
Find it here
Puck provides examples of:
- Art Evolution: Considering that there was a real time Time Skip of 10 years is expected to see the art become more sharp.
- Bare Your Midriff: Phoebe and the waitresses in "HOWLERS", Puck too in a couple of strips because she is pregnant and her clothes don't fit.
- Batman Gambit: The reason for the baby shower. It has mixed results.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: When Puck needs a job Phoebe tries to get her one in Howlers as a waitress but she couldn't get herself to do it and says that if there was a position where she didn't need to wear those outfits or being inside the bar she would take it, there is one, as the mascot Howlie:
Puck: I asked for this torture, didn't I?
Phoebe: Almost by name!
- Puck goes on to have an Open Mouth, Insert Foot moment by describing the mascot outfit as “looking like a dog-eared freak” to Daphne, who IS a dog-headed humanoid quite unlike any of the other characters...
- Berserk Button: Puck is VERY sensitive when it comes to her un-feminine appearance.
- Bland-Name Product: Papa Shnorf.
- Cat Girl: Daphne.
- Colour-Coded Emotions: Coloured halos often appear around characters' heads, indicating various emotions. The most common one is the 'red halo of rage' which encircles Puck on a regular basis. When she's feeling warm or maternal, the halo is pink. Shock is shown through a yellow halo, and sickness or uneasiness is often green.
- Only Sane Man: Daphne is often in this position.
- Easy Amnesia: Puck loses her memory of what happened between the end of the original run and the start of the webcomic proper after she faints and hits her head on the bathroom floor after a positive pregnancy test.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Hot Dog Guy, even after his upgrade to shrink. note
- Expressive Ears: Puck, Phoebe and Daphne all have ears that emote something fierce.
- Fiery Redhead: Puck has quite the temper.
- Gender Flip: Puck, as compared to the original mythology.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Although never naked, Phoebe does wear a variety of Stripperiffic outfits. She's also extremely naive, especially considering her parentage.
- Puck wears a Dangerously Short Skirt a lot of the time (the banner ad described her as “the redhead whose temper is as short as her skirt”), so there’s that... although Colin is well known to find this attractive, so she’s probably Ms. Fanservice.
- I Take Offense to That Last One! In this comic during the baby shower arc:
Tracee: Wait, did you just call me cheap?!
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall:
- Literal Metaphor:
- Longest Pregnancy Ever: Due to the weekly updates of the strip, Puck's pregnancy actually spanned over two and a half years in real time, testing the patience of all but the most diehard readers.
- Morning Sickness: Puck suffers from morning sickness in the early stages of her pregnancy.
- Nude Nature Dance: Puck does a nude nature dance in the middle of her university campus after going crazy and attempting to return to a natural, unburdened state.
- Our Fairies Are Different: The mythological Puck is a mischievous trickster; our Puck is more of a naive young woman with anger issues. Also note the gender shift from male to female.
- Public-Domain Character: Puck is the same Puck from A Midsummer Night's Dream. She's still not happy that Shakespeare thought she was male.
- Selective Obliviousness: After the Easy Amnesia incident, Puck continuously misinterprets the physical signs of her own pregnancy.
- Simple-Minded Wisdom from Colin, resulting in a Dumbass Has a Point moment for Daphne.
- Spirit Advisor: Mr. T makes a surprisingly good one when Colin is afraid for his manhood during an operation for testicular cancer.
- Wacky Cravings: Puck develops cravings for French fries in the middle of the night. And blood.