Webcomic: Patchwork Champions
Patchwork Champions is a Super Hero Pixel Art Comic
-turned-Web Serial Novel
made by the creator of Patchwork Heroes
, unrelated to its predecessor in all but name.In a World
teeming with superheroes and supervillains, Patchwork Champions
follows two such heroes, Timebender and Lucky Ladd, locked in an eternal struggle against their self-proclaimed nemesis, Mad Scientist
Spencer Ecchs. They're later joined by more heroes, forming the titular team, and have bigger and bigger adventures, involving aliens, conspiracies, Alternate Universes
... you know, the usual.
Ran in webcomic form from January 2006 to May 2008, and it continues in the form of an online serial
to this day. Read the comic here
, and the serial, which picks up right where the comic leaves off, can be read here
The story of Patchwork Champions
concluded in December 2010; shortly after this, a sequel story set in the same universe, Patchwork Magisters
, began, with more of a focus on the Magical goings-on of the world.
This comic/serial contains examples of:
- Affably Evil: Fenris occasional tends toward this, his rapidly shifting moods resulting in him making polite conversation while he attempts to tear people limb from limb.
- Duct Tape for Everything: Handyman can make anything out of duct tape. Handkerchiefs, lasers, hand grenades, even cars. He claims that anyone can do it.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Dr. Echhs is quite fond of these.
- Mad Scientist: Dr. Echhs.
- The Nose Knows: Nimble can smell magic. (It works like a sort of synesthesia, with different varieties of magic having distinct scents.)
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Dr. Echhs again.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Ash, the Zombie Ninja Tree. (Both a tree that grows ninja zombies and a tree that is one.)
- Nigh Invulnerable: Being a world of superheroes, this comes up a lot, but special mention must be made to Invictus, who has a lot less "nigh" than most but no super-strength to go with it. In addition to being physically invulnerable, he's also immune to illusions and mental assaults.
- Plant Person /Green Thumb: Blossom.
- Terrible Interviewees Montage: Seen early on in the comic.
- Theory of Narrative Causality: As fundamental to the workings of this universe as the laws of physics. So much so that characters who know how stories work can use it to their advantage.
- Wham Line: "Actually... I am Rex Mundi."
- Winds of Destiny, Change: This is Lucky Ladd's power (as if the name wasn't an indicator).