When the hearts of the stars are shining bright
Deep in the midst of the Everclear Night
When desire is strong and will is awakened
May wishes be made and chances be taken
'Ancient Lore, detailing the circumstances of the titular Everclear Night'
Paper Mario and the Everclear Night is an Interactive Comic by MSPA Forum-goer gestaltScribbler (referred to as gS). It is based on the Paper Mario series though as of the moment, neither Mario nor any of the other original characters seem to be the focus of the story. It focuses on the titular Everclear Comet, which passes by every five hundred years to those who wish hard enough. The format is based largely on reader input, much like the comic on which PM&ECN's home forum is based.Can be found here.The thread has been continued from the first here. Read the first thread before you check out the new one!
Reader: Examine tropes utilized within Paper Mario and the Everclear Night:
- All There in the Manual: The entire cast can be seen on gestaltScribbler's deviantart page (known as The Toast Man Cometh), even though a vast majority of them have not shown up in-comic yet. However, the creator has said that it's possible some characters will not appear at all.
- Badass Cape: Booboo attempts this with a beach towel but ends up looking like an idiot.
- Bouncer: Club Melody has one, and Clyde gets whupped by him.
- Casanova Wannabe: Clyde prides himself as a ladies man, but we have never seen any of his conquests, nor does his rate of success at anything he does look like it would translate into romantic pastimes.
- Character Customization: There is a very complex way of doing this, involving smithing a character's soul.
- Chest Monster: The very first chest found in the adventure contains the very first enemy of the game, and this prompts the very first tutorial of the game.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Sasha at first, then she reveals herself to be a Manipulative Bitch
- Combination Attack: Boo Buddies. Soda + Booboo + Shyla. It's assumed there are more, but none have been seen.
- Enemy Mine: Bowser and Mario appear to have have joined forces (again) to combat the new threat of Sasha.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Detective Snifs has been described as this. Even his original creator was surprised by the fan reception.
- Expy: Sasha looks a lot like Princess Peach and is rather eager like her, though she has none of her kindness.
- Fourth Wall Observer: Chet Rippo sorta is this as he invades the thread to offer the chance to potentially change the story in major ways.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Sasha.
- Hero with an F in Good: Clyde the Goomba. The number of "good" deeds he does is shocking.
- Human Cannonball: Jitterbug's job. Plus, she actually looks like a cannonball.
- Interface Screw: The character select screen is based off of the curtains from Super Mario Bros 2. One reader suggested pulling on the tassels, revealing more choices.
- Informed Attribute: The world is supposedly the Paper Mario world, but whilst many mechanics (such as the battle setup and status menus) do transfer over, the namesake characteristic - being made of paper - doesn't seem to be in effect.
- Lint Value: Finagled With. Booboo finds only two coins in his hat to buy a soda with, but can't afford Shyla's better sodas and has to settle with a meager three-can selection. (Even though he discovers a ball of lint in his hat as well, he doesn't try to use it.)
- Loners Are Freaks: Implied: One of the Shine humor's positive traits is extroversion. One of the Vision humor's negative traits is introversion.
- Mundane Made Awesome:
- Booboo does a lot of this. Putting on a towel cape and trying to beat up a TV fits this trope like a glove.
- Clyde is a good example of this trope as well. Because spraypainting club walls and turning around important signs is just soooo heroically cool.
- Never the Selves Shall Meet: When the effects of the Bob-Omb blast soda does this, Booboo is beside himself.
- Once More, with Clarity!: You have a desire for popularity that borders on the obsessive.
- Only Sane Shyguy: Shyla. Although even SHE has a crazy side when it comes to soda mixing.
- Our Boos Are Different: Booboo is quite fleshy for a ghost, and is not really that scary at all.
- Percussive Maintenance: Booboo does this to his TV in an attempt to make it work.
- Power Up Soda: Shyla has an arsenal of these.
- Rollerblade Good: Clyde. He actually flips halfway across an urban city on his skates (although he lands in a bush)
- Star Power: Used in many Mario games and Paper Mario especially, which diverts into the comic.
- Sweet Tooth: Sasha, so much that one simple Mushroom Chewie sends her into a sugar-induced flashback of her childhood.
- Trickster: Shyla. A Shy Guy says that it's a common trait of Shyguys, and it applies just as much to her.
- That One Achievement: gS recently created achievements for his fans to put in their signatures. A few are unobtainable since the event has passed, and another is a secret achievement that only gS knows about. There are also achievements listed that were only available to one person. Currently, it's impossible to obtain every single one.
- The Triple: "You are also well-versed in the arts of STREAMERY, SHOWMANSHIP and WANTON DESTRUCTION."
- Trope2000: Jitterbug's prized Birdo Blaster 3000.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Sasha almost does this with some candy but chooses not to so it doesn't melt and look all awkward.
- Wham Episode: Sasha's big reveal at the end of the Prologue.