Not Enough Rings
It's time to revolutionise an industry and become a video game icon!
UGGHH WHEN WILL THEY INVENT SPINDASH
is a Sonic the Hedgehog
fancomic by Taeshi
, the creator of Bittersweet Candy Bowl
. It presents a lighthearted take on the original four Sega Genesis Sonic
games: Sonic the Hedgehog
, Sonic the Hedgehog 2
, Sonic The Hedgehog 3
, and Sonic & Knuckles
, examining their various quirks.
Ths webcomic features these tropes from the Sonic games:
Additionally, this webcomic provides examples of:
- Anticlimax Boss: "Emerald Hill Zone Boss" provides an impressive entry for Eggman. The boss fight in question was once the page image for Warm Up Boss. You do the math.
- Aside Glance: Often used as the final punchline to strips.
- Chew Toy: Sonic sometimes, particularly in the Sonic 1 strips, but really picked up with Tails - though Sonic does at least (usually) care that bad things happen to them.
- Continuity Nod: The comic starts out with Sonic complaining about his inability to spindash in Sonic 1. When the Sonic 2 arc rolls around, the very first thing Sonic does is try out the spindash.
- At the end of Scrap Brain Zone Act 2, when Sonic finds himself on a trap door, with Eggman at the trigger behind an unbreakable glass wall, Sonic asks Eggman if he's still bitter about the critique on his Boss Arena Idiocy that he made two comics ago. He's not.
- Foregone Conclusion: Once "The Doomsday Zone" rolls around (or possibly "The Doomsday Zone Boss"), the comic will be over.
- Goddamned Bats/That One Level: One gets the impression that Taeshi finds Marble Zone and Metropolis Zone frustrating.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Having infinite lives makes putting Tails in otherwise lethal situations easy.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: The strips are named after stages, so the first is "Green Hill Zone Act 1," the fourth is "Special Stage," and so on.
- Only Sane Man: Sonic, the only voice of reason in a world full of vindictive robots and immature would-be-world conquerors. Tails takes up this role somewhat in the Sonic 2 strips.
- Ping Pong Na´vetÚ: Tails goes between being the Only Sane Man to Sonic quirks (reflecting the random quirks the average player tends to have, like being addicted to the Casino Night Zone machines), or childish and unhelpful (reflecting the times his original AI was unhelpful, like the special stages).
- Sidetracked by the Gold Saucer: Sonic gets distracted in Casino Night Zone.
- Title Drop: The title is the message that appears when you fail a Sonic 2 special stage. So naturally, when the Sonic 2 arc's "Special Stage" episode rolls around, he ends up having some trouble.