Webcomic / Nicole and Derek
Nicole and Derek
is a furry Slice of Life Web Comic
by Terrance and Isabel Marks. It is a Spin-Offspring
sequel to two of
the Marks' previous comics: Namir Deiter
and You Say It First
. The title characters are Nicole Adams (daughter of Brisbane and Kimberly of YSIF) and Derek O'Donnell (son of ND's Tipper and Charles). The comic involves Nicole's adventures as the new girl in town, following her family's move for business reasons, as she gets used to an entirely new world (to her) and the cast of characters within it. Other new characters introduced include Miss Fluffy
(a koala girl who may or may not be related to Gabby of ND), Adrian Anneston (son of ND's Cedric and Falco) Cassandra (a cat girl who serves as Derek's foil) and "Magical Princess Shelby" ("Enforcer of Justice!").
The comic is still in its infancy, so there are still many characters (including characters from the previous comics) still to be properly introduced.
Publishes on the same schedule as ND: steadily, but with no real set interval past "at least one a week."
The comic contains examples of the following tropes:
- Adorkable: Nicole. She gets it from her dad.
- Bait and Switch: We're told early on that Charles is now a school principal and that Derek uses a personal connection with the principal to get away with much of his shenanigans. When we finally see Derek's school principal, It's Joy (who somewhere along the line married Issac and took his surname, "Telford"). Charles is the principal of a completely different school.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: The entire cast, just like the predecessor comics.
- Bus Crash: Cedric was killed in an auto accident during the time skip.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Shelby, who treats her Study Hall period as her own private "Magical Princess" territory.
- Complexity Addiction: Shelby's scheme to procure copies of Macbeth from Derek, rather than just buy them at the bookstore she visited the day before (before getting spooked by the sight of a blue-haired rabbit girlnote ). Granted, that was after she was denied use of an e-book copy or a printout of same.
- Hands-Off Parenting: Miss Fluffy's parents let her change her own name at age six. The law says she can't change it again for ten years.
- Lovable Rogue: Derek, in the Ferris Bueller mold.
- Love Dodecahedron: Avery has a crush on Derek and considers Nicole (who was crushed on by Adrian) her love rival (she isn't, and eventually tells her so). Derek has a crush on Miss Fluffy, who thinks he likes Cassandra (who knows about Avery's crush).
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: Shelby is introduced as a lunatic, and even Cassandra and Avery seem to see her as one, but her plans and superstitions tend to prove bizarrely effective/accurate.
- MST3K Mantra: Invoked by Word of God for YSIF and ND readers trying to reconcile the timelines between the comics. The timelines won't line up perfectly and that's on purpose.
- New Transfer Student: Nicole is from an entirely different country.
- Oblivious to Love: Derek has missed every cue that Avery likes him, up to an including having cake together at a cafe. There, Avery's awkward attempts to let Derek know her feelings only made him think she was into girls.
- Retcon: Word of God is that some characters' ages have been tweaked from their Namir Deiter incarnations to fit the current narrative. Adrian and Derek are the same age, when Adrian should be two years older. Cerise has been aged down to her teens , when she should be about the same age as Daisy, to facilitate a closer relationship between her and her cousin, Derek.
- She Who Must Not Be Seen: For the first couple of years of the strip, the audience doesn't see the teenaged Cerise Namir, only hearing from her via texts with Derek (her cousin).
- Spin-Offspring: The title characters are the children of You Say It First and Namir Deiter's central couples.
- Team Mom: Miss Fluffy tries to fill this role, but usually just ends up being a wet blanket.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: Both times we've seen Blue's bar (so far), the bartender many assumed was a youthful-looking Blue was actually her niece, Daisy Huss (who dyes her hair blue). Lampshaded by the 12/20/2016 strip where Blue, herself, makes an appearance.
- Unknown Rival: Shelby considers Nicole more a Spanner in the Works than a direct rival (for now).