Webcomic: Mystery Babylon
A thousand years ago, the apocalypse ended with Lucifer and all his demons bound into the Pit
. The only survivor was Mystery Babylon, the last demon
, prophesied to break the seal in a thousand years. But Babylon swore to her dying boyfriend that she would never break the seal—no matter how much she wanted to see all her old friends again.
One day, she comes across a priest who claims to have a map to the seal and is being attacked by a cult that worships Mystery Babylon. Babylon, also known as Kick Girl
, kicks their asses and steals the map from the priest (since she kinda lost her old map, and forgot where the seal was). But then she realizes she needs the priest to interpret the map, and the adventure begins.
Mystery Babylon is the continuation of the author's Kick Girl
comic book, taking place 1000 years after its end. Volumes of the comic are not available on the web, but the webcomic's FAQ says that the current story will stand on its on.
A webcomic updated every Monday, Mystery Babylon
is hilarious, but with some darker elements threaded throughout. The first page is here
, home page here
Tropes found in this webcomic:
- Anti Anti Christ: Kick Girl is destined to unseal Lucifer, and while she does want to unseal him, she gave her word she wouldn't. Throw in the fact that as the daughter of Vesta she's also foretold to be the savior, and things start to get complicated.
- Bare Your Midriff: Kick Girl, after being impaled by a giant spider and resurrecting.
- Days of Future Past: Flashbacks indicate that a thousand years ago the world looked downright modern, with skyscrapers and technology. The people are down to swords and axes now.
- Immortality: Kick Girl
- Keet: ZERO.
- Kick Chick: Kick Girl. What gave it away?
- Kill the Ones You Love: Kick Girl to Kill Boy.
- Knight Templar: Twice over. On the one hand, you have the Crusaders, and on the other, the Babylonian cult.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: The third member of Mystery's party is named Judas.
Kick Girl: Yeah, you're definitely not coming with us.
- Our Demons Are Different: Mystery Babylon is the last of her kind (at least, on Earth), is ageless, is mostly unkillable, and goes into a berserker rage when she loses control. No details have been given on whether or not other demons share these traits.
- The Pollyanna: Zero is a rare male example.
- Samus is a Girl: The General is the woman seen shopping for swords.
- Satan: The main demon sealed in the Pit. He's also known as Kill Boy, and his real name might be Adrian.
- Shrouded in Myth: The demons are actually ancient superheroes, the goddess Vesta is actually another superhero (not to mention mother of the protagonist), and most of the rest has been confused for Christian myth and prophecy.
- Historical Hero Upgrade: According to KG, Vesta wasn't the saintly Madonna figure she is worshipped as.
- Historical Villain Upgrade: Kick Girl. She bears terrible guilt about whatever happened at the time of the sealing of the Pit, but it's pretty clear that she's nowhere near the monster legend makes her out to be.
- Super Hero Gods: Inverted. The gods and demons of the comic were once modern-day superheroes, now Shrouded in Myth.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: "Dark" Kick Girl, as the author calls her.
- Stop Worshipping Me: Kick Girl really hates the Babylonian cult. Especially the masks.
Kick Girl: After all these years, why do you guys insist on wearing these frickin' things?! Is this supposed to be my face?! Seriously?! It doesn't look anything like me! They're awful!