Webcomic: My Life In Blue
My Life In Blue
is a high school comedy/dramedy
written and illustrated by Zan Gullo. It centers around gay teenager Aleksander "Alex" Charbonneau adjusting to his new high school, along with his circle of artistically-inclined
The sequel My Life In Blue 2.0
focuses on his friend Marius' college life in London with indie rocker iddy pop
and his biggest fan James
This comic contains examples of:
- Ambiguous Gender: "Boys!! Vincent and I just seduced the most enchanting shop girl. Or boy. We're not sure."
- Anything That Moves: iddy, who can never remember whether his groupie James is a boy or a girl.
- Art Evolution
- Asexuality: Dobbs
- Awesome McCoolname
- Bishounen: Too many to list.
- Bi the Way: iddy, Simon, Mona, Sarah, and Luka. Mordred isn't bisexual, but he wishes that he was.
- Calvinball: Vincent and Alison's underwear roller derby.
- Camp Gay: Quite a few characters, although some of them are technically Camp Bisexuals.
- Cast Full of Gay: Alex is gay, Marius is transsexual, and most of the other characters are gay or bi.
- Cloudcuckoolander: iddy is this trope.
- Continuity Nod: While Alex and Simon haven't appeared (yet, at least) in My Life In Blue 2.0, Marius has a picture of them on his wall.
- Deadpan Snarker: Marius
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Most of the male characters look rather androgynous, which is lampshaded.
- Easy Sex Change: Completely averted with Marius.
- Electric Boogaloo: My Life In Blue 2.0
- Erotic Eating: "On my planet, we don't have gag reflexes."
- Everyone Is Bi: Lampshaded by Marius in one strip, noting that he seems to be the only straight person at the prom, which is made funnier by the fact that he kissed Alex earlier that night.
- Fun T-Shirt: "I want Joey Ramone's dick up my ass."
- Fag Hag: Alison
- Fake Band: Cortlandt Manor Band, and of course, iddy pop.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: iddy pop's Multicolored Hair.
- Glomp: Simon is very physically affectionate, expecially with Alex.
- Gorgeous Period Dress: Used in the school's production of Titus Andronicus.
- Groupie Brigade: James and Mona.
- He-Man Woman Hater: Vincent is a male chauvinist. Made funnier by the fact that his best friend is woman.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Simon says this about to Alex, although his sexual orientation is slightly ambiguous.
- Imaginary Friend: Imaginary the crow.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Portia
- Life Embellished
- Lighter and Softer: My Life In Blue 2.0 is a bit more lighthearted than its predecessor.
- Multicolored Hair: Several characters, although it's only because they dye it.
- New-Age Retro Hippie: Simon's parents.
- No, Except Yes: "I'm not queer, I'm inverted, thou lie-breeding swine."
- Orphaned Series: Recently started back up, although the updates have been inconsistent.
- Performance Artist: Most of the cast.
- Perky Goth: Marius, Mordred, and Sarah.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Portia is very fond of these, to the point of doing household chores in them.
- Real Women Never Wear Dresses: Vivian is uncomfortable with her attraction to the much girlier Portia because she sees her as "unliberated." Ironically, she was completely comfortable with Portia's hyperfemininity until she realized that she was female, initially mistaking her for a "very small Drag Queen."
- Refuge in Audacity: None of Ardsley's bandmates when he tells them about the underwear roller derby.
- Reincarnation: Alex and Alison have been friends for multiple incarnations.
- Reincarnation Romance: A rare platonic example.
- Running Gag: Simon's love for manatees.
- School Play: Titus Andronicus
- Stupid Sexy Flanders:
- Simon towards Marius, Johnny Depp, and Alex.
- Elsewhere, Alex admits that Lara Croft "has a certain... pixelated foxiness."
- Marius often causes this in lesbians, much to his chagrin, while Alex gets the same reaction out of him on at least on one occasion.
- The Cutie: Portia
- Their First Time
- The Roaring Twenties: The prom theme. Alex and Alison also lived one of their many lives together during this time period.
- The Twink: James
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Vivian and Portia.
- Transsexual: Marius
- Yaoi Fangirl: Lydia, Marius' Catholic school girlfriend.
- Your Mom