We call this the Spiky Thing.Minion
is produced by Minion Comics and updates Monday and Wednesday.
The comic is about two unemployed losers who take jobs as henchmen with an evil organization, after one of them, Spencer, gets convicted of theft and is unable to find a job. The organization is ostensibly dedicated to promoting freedom of information by hacking into government and corporate secret files.
This webcomic contains examples of:
- Affably Evil: Von Gernsbach presents himself as a WikiLeaks-style campaigner for freedom of information as he takes Spencer and Dingus under his wing.
- All Just a Dream: Dingus has a short dream sequence involving his fantasies about predators, aliens, and the holy grail.
- Brain in a Jar: Hitler's head is in a jar attached to a giant rampaging gorilla.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: Wendell is a prime example of this trope.
- The Bully: Skeeter attempts to force new minions to play one of two games: Stab-Twist-Gurgle, or Mama Bird.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Spencer and Dingus are allowed to pick their torture, with options ranging from "The Spiky Thing" to "The Shocker" to a George Lopez comedy special.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: The series of torture options on offer.
- Creepy Doll: Tur-Tor, a stuffed green turtle with drugged-out eyes, plays tapes of rap songs about domestic violence by children.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Von Gernsbach rants away about his plans, because it's his greatest love - despite noting that there will soon be "the escaping and the foiling."
- Distracted by the Sexy: Dingus's use of the prostitute as a distraction for the guards.
- The Dragon: Mr. Magnum is Von Gernsbach's second in command, doing most of the actual work.
- Dueling Scar: Von Gernsbach has an extensive one.
- Electric Torture: Spencer and Dingus are offered options for how they will be tortured, including a "car battery to the balls."
- Evil Gloating: Von Gernsbach engages in quite a bit of this, gloating over the power he will gain from his plans.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Dingus and Spencer are given unsupervised and ill-advised access to various laser guns.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Von Gernsbach's scar gives him a sinister, evil look and telegraphs his villainy.
- Glorious Leader: Von Gernsbach constantly rails against the government and corporations for their secrecy as justification for his hacking efforts.
- Gratuitous Rap: Tur-Tor's song, "Punch Your Bitch In The Mouth."
- The Guards Must Be Crazy: The guards' assumption that a homosexual orgy is going on based on Wendell's comments about his hat.
- High-Class Glass: Von Gernsbach, who comes from a wealthy German family, wears a monocle over his scar.
- High Octane Nightmare Fuel: The above mentioned Tur-Tor and Pizza Face.
- An Ice Person: Dingus plans his minion identity "Icepick" around an ice theme, deciding that "I'll kill people, but only with weapons that are cold and shit.".
- Mooks: The comic focuses on the perspective of a group of Mooks.
- Misogyny Song: Tur-Tor's rap song "Punch Your Bitch In The Mouth."
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: Von Gernsbach generally dresses like a Nazi, complete with red armband, and installs Hitler's head on a giant gorilla.
- Public Domain Artifact: Dingus is convinced that the evil organization they work for is searching for the Holy Grail.
- Suckiness Is Painful: The torture options discussed, including a Jonas Brothers concert and a George Lopez special.
- Torture Technician: The torturer minion offers such options as "The Spiky Thing" and "The Shocker."
- Villain Protagonist: The main duo here are primarily minions for the evil organization.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Von Gernsbach "got on the cover of Time" by portraying himself as a freedom of information proponent.
- We Need a Distraction: Dingus uses a prostitute as a distraction for the guards when the base is on lock-down.