Marisa eats some strange mushroom and turns into a child. Whatever she does, she's just too cute to be angry with, even when she calls Yukari granny.Mini Mari! (ミニまりっ！) is a Touhou fan Yonkoma by Beni Shake (紅シャケ), a member of the doujin circle Honey Toast.The comic follows the adventures of Touhou's token Cute Witch, Marisa Kirisame, after she eats a strange mushroom and reduced to a childish, Super-Deformed form. Reimu Hakurei at first objects to this sudden transformation, but soon grows to adore the newly-minature Marisa's sheer cuteness.Koishi Komeiji joins the two as another main character, after she tried to catch Marisa with a Master Ball, only for the ball to bounce back and capture her, making her Marisa's and Reimu's pet instead of the other way around.Mini Mari! can be read in its original Japanese on Pixiv here, and is translated into English on Danbooru (no link provided due to NSFW ads, so please look it up yourself).The comic started in 2010 and is still going strong. Beni Shake has released a few compilation books, primarily at events like the bi-annual Comiket and the annual Reitaisai festival. The latest compilation, released at Comiket 84 in summer 2013, covers the comic from 2010 to 2012.
Oh, did we mention there are more mushrooms waiting..?
Oh, did we mention there are more mushrooms waiting..?
—Description of Mini Mari! image pool on Danbooru
Mini Mari! provides examples of:
- Art Evolution: Like other years-long comics, Beni Shake's art style has changed dramatically, becmoning more vibrant in later comics.
- Berserk Button: Poor Yukari is repeatedly called "Grandma" by Marisa, though her reaction is usually a sort of breakdown than an angry reaction.
- Cat Girl: Marisa has a phase as one when she eats a striped mushroom. It ends right as Reimu is having a Tsundere moment about her.
- Not to mention Chen, whose appearance freaks out Yukari (who Cat!Marisa had been chewing on earlier).
- Catch Phrase: In earlier strips, Marisa has a tendency to blurt out "Eu?", which is similar in meaning to "Huh?" and "Eh?"
- Characterization Marches On: Marisa has gone from being Little Miss Snarker (especially with Yukari) to a Cheerful Child.
- Crossover: With Monster Hunter in one arc, where Reimu and Marisa go on a bunch of quests.
- Cuteness Proximity:
- Reimu manages to avert this for a few chapters, but starts to lose it five chapters in and a few years later, she's all but given up on trying to revert Marisa.Koishi: "I'd like to be wrong, but aren't we forgetting about turning Marisa back to normal?"
Koishi: "Why are you averting your eyes?"
- During the Scarlet arc, Flandre meets Marisa and proceeds to squeeze her with glee. Remilia sees this and wants in on the cuddling and playing too.
- Reimu manages to avert this for a few chapters, but starts to lose it five chapters in and a few years later, she's all but given up on trying to revert Marisa.
- Excited Show Title!: The official katakana reading of the title actually reads "Mini-Mari!"
- Fanservice: In Persuasiveness, Marisa complains about a heat wave. Reimu's solution to her problem? Strip down to her sarashi and panties.
- Fun Size:
- Marisa, as implied by the title.
- Lampshaded in the spinoff series Mini Mini, in which Reimu seems to be a bit annoyed at being reduced to the same mini size Marisa is:Marisa: "What's wrong with bein' little? It's cute!"
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Koishi tried to capture Marisa as a Cat Girl using a Master Ball. Reimu knocks it away (which is what happens in the actual games) and back at Koishi, causing Koishi to be captured by her own Master Ball.
- Honest Axe: Spoofed in one strip. When Koishi's Master Ball gets damaged, the girls ask Nitori to fix it. She offers three replacements: a mini-Koishi, a mini-catgirl Koishi, and a charismatic Koishi. Marisa says she wants all three, and Nitori says that since she was honest, she'll throw in a gold and a silver Koishi as well. Marisa is delighted, Reimu much less so.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: Flandre Scarlet's initial reaction to meeting Marisa. Unlike darker, more common depictions of Flandre, this is less out of a desparate need for a companion and more simply because she finds the chibified Marisa to be absolutely adorable.
- Kid Has a Point: Marisa says she doesn't like the idea of Valentines Day (at least the part about giving chocoloate as a roundabout way of confessing) and that if you like someone, you should just go ahead and say it; she then proceeds to tell Reimu and Koishi that she loves them both.
- Amusingly, the Danbooru comments for this comic are in total agreement with Marisa, saying that a lot of Rom Com anime would be much shorter if the protagonists took her advice instead of futzing about for hundreds of chapters.
- Only Sane Woman: Amidst Marisa's and Koishi's hijinks, poor Reimu often ends up in this role.
- Recoil Boost: Marisa tries to use her signature Master Spark and gets blasted into the air.Marisa: "Euuuuuuuuuu~"
- Schedule Slip: There was a period of about four months without updates because Beni Shake was working on another series, the Kasen-centric You Desire a Hermit?. Acknowledged In-Universe with a comic where Marisa is upset with Reimu for not paying attention to her for a while.
- Ship Tease: As demonstrated here:Reimu: "Since she became small, [Marisa] won't go to sleep unless we're in the same bed, and somehow she tries to flirt with me."
- Later, Reimu and Marisa complain of the heat, and Reimu tells Marisa to get off of her, presumably because of the body heat. Marisa refuses.
- Shout-Out: There are a few references to other games, particularly Touhoumon (and by extension, Pokémon) and Monster Hunter. In fact, Koishi came to live with Reimu and Marisa because a Master Ball she threw at Marisa bounced back ("Reimu blocked the ball! Don't be a thief!") and captured her.
- Sleep Cute: Demonstrated here by Reimu and Marisa.
- Super-Deformed: Aside from Marisa, the art style itself borders on this.
- The Talk: In one brief series, Marisa asks where babies come from; Koishi makes the mistake of saying "p*n*s", which little Marisa decides is a funny word and starts saying repeatedly.