Metanoia is a dark fantasy webcomic created by Jesse Hajicek and Sarah Cloutier.From the site:When the first rebel angels fell, some of the angels still loyal to the Light made it their mission to counter the new demons' schemes. Their war continues to this day. The battlefield is Free Will; humans are both the weapons and the prize. Over the ages, the opposing groups stationed on the material plane have developed into two organizations: the Veil, demons working to corrupt mankind, and the Foundation, angels working to block the Veil's plans and repair the damage.Both sides are bound by strict rules. The demons only follow these rules because breaking them frees the angels from the same constraints. They may not use their powers on mortals, nor manifest fully in their true forms. To get past these limits, they inhabit mortals. The demons possess their mortals completely, pushing out the mortal soul and reshaping the body as they please. The angels come only when invited, to mortals who channel them voluntarily.And then there are the witches, psychics, and magi on both sides... Not to mention that everybody gets to play with lots of guns... It's lucky for us ordinary folks that the two sides are locked in eternal stalemate, and refuse to escalate to open war.Um... they're not going to escalate to open war, are they? Are they?The webcomic is set in a modern urban setting and follows the life of Star Tyrian, a gun-for-hire who has far too many encounters with the metaphysical. While the prologue deals with Tyrian's backstory, the main body is a too-fast-to-follow description of what can happen when the forces of Good hire a hitman to do their bidding.
- Ancient Conspiracy: Both the good and the bad guys.
- Anti-Hero: Star.
- Anything That Moves: Star, according to this page.
- Apocalypse How: At least one faction has been introduced as having no desire other than to bring about Armageddon. Sure, both the good guys and the bad guys think they're pathetic, but they exist and they're active.
- Awesome McCoolname: "My parents named me Star. No joke."
- Bad Dreams: Star.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Milo.
- Can't Have Sex, Ever: All of the Ridden, but Zander stands out for story purposes.
- Death Seeker: Given the effects of his empath powers on his former job and the stunt he pulled on the roof of the building, it's hard not to see Star as one.
- Demonic Possession: Played straight and inverted. Both demons and angels can possess the living, and demons can also possess corpses.
- The Empath: Star. Being an assassin does not help his mental state.
- Freudian Excuse: Star is the most prominent example, but not the only one. It works because bad decisions are acknowledged to play a part as well as bad luck.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Lampshaded by one of Zander's shirts.
- Ho Yay: Too much to count between Star and Zander, though since they're both openly gay and have admitted to liking each other and shared at least one passionate kiss, at this point they're practically Yaoi Guys.
- Jerk Ass/Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Star, again.
- Outgrown Such Silly Superstitions: Oddly enough, in a webcomic about angels and demons, it's played straight.Jane: I know what your thesis is on. You can't possibly think cherubim are flying babies.
- Power at a Price: A couple of characters, including Zan, are the willing hosts of angels (called "Ridden"). The price for this is that they can't eat meat, have sex (apparently defined as anything past first base) or swear oaths. The consequences of violating this agreement have not been spelled out yet, but are implied to be pretty dire. And Word of God says it still counts if Star tops.
- Schedule Slip: After a slip of years, it's finally started updating again. One of the creators is away at art school.
- Shoot the Dog: Star, when he kills his boyfriend out of mercy after Jaime's soul returns from hell, leaving him a screaming vegetable.
- Streetwalker: How Star got money (when he wasn't panhandling) before he became an assassin.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Averted. In combat, almost no talking takes place for just that reason.
- Volleying Insults: Star and Zander, a few times:Zander: Overgrown adolescent.Star: Frustrated fascist.Zander: Redneck.Star: Nerd.Zander: Hooligan.Star: Granny.Zander: Troll.Star: Fairy.Zander: Gym queen.Star: Nancy boy.Zander: Ass bandit.Star: Princess.Zander: Shirt lifter.Star: Pillow biter.Zander: Fag.