"As soon as VCRs make a comeback, I'll be right back on top!"Melonpool (originally/alternatively titled The Adventures of Mayberry Melonpool) is a newspaper-style Science Fiction webcomic created by Steve Troop. Originally running as one of the first webcomics between 1996 and 2005 regularly, and then infrequently through 2012, it was rebooted to late 2005 and infrequently, though with full story arcs, through 2012.After a two year hiatus, the strip's setting was rebooted in October 2014; the original series is still available in collected, printed form as Old School Melonpool.Crew members include:
— Mayberry Melonpool, attempting (and failing) to impress a date.
- Mayberry Melonpool, the Star Trek and Star Wars obsessed and incompetent alien captain from the planet Melotia.
- Ralph Zinobop, a bad tempered Mad Scientist (he built the ZSC=1) that looks down upon the rest of the crew. He's also an exiled prince from the planet Zinobop.
- Sam T. Dogg, an telepathic dog and ship pilot. One of the only crew members with any common sense. From the planet K-9.
- Sammy the Hammy, a giant hamster (one of Ralph's experiments) that serves as the engine (runs in a hamster wheel) and is always hungry. Not very intelligent.
- Fred the Monkey, Ralph's last attempt to create his own crew in the lab. An uplifted monkey who serves as Sammy's minder, and does his best to look much smarter than he actually is.
- Flatworm Jim, another uplifted animal on Ralph's crew, in this case a flatworm. His name is of course a pun on Earthworm Jim.
- Eileen, a G.R.A.I.S.E. whose introduction to Mayberry came through a disasterous blind date. Rumored to be a human hybrid, on account of the scarcity of G.R.A.I.S.E. women.
Contains examples of the following tropes:
- Aliens Steal Cable: Melotians pick up Earth television signals through their antennae. Couch potatoness ensues.
- Big Eater: Just saying the word "food" is enough to make Sammy abandon his post and rush for the fridge.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Mayberry, in spades.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Most of Ralph's inventions are named in this fashion.
- The G.R.A.I.S.E.
- Mad Scientist: Ralph
- Planet of Hats: Melotians are (Earth) pop culture-obsessed couch potatoes.
- ReBoot: Of the original strip.
- Rodents of Unusual Size: Sammy the Hammy.