Masquerade is an Interactive Comic, created by ashdenej as an MSPA Forum Adventure; initially a text adventure, it also makes use of images and talksprites, Homestuck-style.It follows the adventures of the Broccoli Gang, a group of shady individuals who are in the process of stealing a walrus for reasons unknown. Later on, the action moves into the Gang's blimp, and concerns the attempts of their prisoners to escape. The Gang are based off both the Seven Deadly Sins and the Horsemen of the Apocalypse.It can be read here.
This adventure displays the following tropes:
- Affably Evil: Don Huel. While he is the head of the Mullberry Gang and is shown to be efficient with a sword, he generally tends to act like a senile, albeit friendly, old man.
- Backstory: The author has begun posting profiles for various members of the groups.
- Badass Cape: The Painter.
- Badass Moustache: The Painter again.
- Bold Inflation: Gianna's speech is peppered with EMPHASIS for NO APPARENT REASON.
- Cool Mask
- Crowd Panic: When the Writer turns up.
- The Don: Don Huel, leader of the Mullberry Gang.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Each member of the Gang has no known name other than their title.
- Evil Brit: Word Of God says that the Reaper speaks with a British accent.
- The Faceless: The Broccolis, but especially the Reaper and Writer.
- Genius Bruiser: The Butcher, but also, to a lesser extent, the rest of the Gang.
- Horror Hunger: The Baker's got that in spades.
- Interactive Comic
- Knife Nut: The Banker keeps his wristblades on at all times.
- Mood Whiplash: Post barrel roll, when the Waiter gets killed, shortly after a section on a sentient room's hijinks. He got better.
- Running Gag: When in the presence of a blimp's steering wheel, it has become a common occurrence for characters to attempt a barrel roll.
- Present Tense Narrative
- Second-Person Narration
- Seven Deadly Sins: And the Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
- Super Strength: The Butcher, but also to a lesser extent the Banker and Baker.
- Unstoppable Rage: The Butcher has anger issues.
- X Meets Y: The death mechanics are a blend of Homestuck's and Problem Sleuth's.