Webcomic: Mandatory Roller Coaster
Mandatory Roller Coaster by Aram J. French is a weekly webcomic about "loneliness, alienation, and pizza". Early strips tended to be more morose than outright funny, while later strips have branched out to incorporate traditional comedy, sight gags and absurd situations.While the comic is single-panel and doesn't have an ongoing story, there are some recurring characters, including:
- The bar guys. Depressed, grumpy, and unsociable (except with each other).
- The couch guys. The definition of arrested development.
- Bigfoot. He's on all the social networks, and he follows back.
- Adults Are Useless : Multiple examples, including the guys on the couch and the guys at the bar.
- Angst : Lots and lots of this. Notably when single males or the Existential Space Invader show up.
- Badass in a Nice Suit : Business Shark
- Blanket Fort : Combined with wine and fancy cheese.
- Bread and Circuses : Pretty much every time politics or politicians come up.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive : Old, bald, white men in tailored navy blue suits.
- Eldritch Abomination : Cthulhu makes a brief appearance.
- God and Satan Are Both Jerks : And drinking buddies, apparently.
- Goth : George Gothington is seen reading a book by Edgar Allan Poe.
- Heroic Fatigue : Depression Man, who routinely stands atop buildings in order to curse the city's inhabitants and feel sorry for himself.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners : The bar guys and the couch guys.
- I Was Having Such a Nice Dream : An unnamed character dreams of being on a go-kart racing team with Felicia Day.
- If I Were a Rich Man : One of the bar guys has a fantasy of being able to afford to see a doctor.
- Lava Pit : THE FLOOR IS LAVA! (The game you played as a kid.)
- Must Have Caffeine : "Have you ever drank so much coffee that your pee smells like coffee?"
- Smoking is Cool : Because "teenagers are right".