Webcomic / Love and Tentacles
Love and Tentacles
is a comic by Humon
, of Niels
and Scandinavia and the World
fame. It takes place in an alternate universe in which humans coexist with the Tentacula, a race of, well, tentacle monsters (but don't call them that
). The central characters are Tom (human) and Frida (Tentacula), a committed couple coping with the fact that their relationship challenges social norms — both the ones they encounter in public and the ones they have internalized in their own heads.
The comic was discontinued due to Humon's personal loss of interest in the series.
However, Humon later decided to not only give it a proper ending but release the series collected into book form
Love and Tentacles provides examples of the following tropes:
- Anything That Moves: Mona, Frida's coworker who is "sex-crazy even by Tentacula standards".
- Babies Ever After: Word of God confirms it, although it's not exactly a heartwarming tale.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: Tentaculas have three different types of tentacles, and a split tongue. They also practice external fertilization, much to Tom's Squick.
- Cute Monster Girl: Frida and her friend, Mona. Frida's ex is a male version.
- Fantastic Racism: Humans and Tentacula seem to have equal status in society, but mixed relationships are not yet fully accepted by either side.
- Freaky Is Cool: According to Nick.
- Interspecies Romance: The point of the comic.
- Multiple-Choice Past: Humon considered several possible origins for the Tentacula, from the extraterrestrial to the infernal. She eventually decided that they had been created in a lab and eventually freed and inducted into society.
- Nice Guy: Tom and Frida, to the point of being the straight man of their various friends and coworkers.
- Nonhumans Lack Attributes: Frida has no nipples.
- Orphaned Series: Formerly applied to this series, which was discontinued because Humon herself got bored with it. Later, she decided to give it a proper send-off, compiling the series into a book with new comics bringing the story to a close.
- Our Nudity Is Different: Frida is embarrassed to discover she's been waving her smaller tentacles around in front of Tom's mother.