Webcomic / La Mouette Noire
La Mouette Noire
("Black Seagull" in French
) is a comic series rendered in 3D by an artist going by the online name "eyeteeth". It follows the adventures of the eponymous character, a Stripperific Pirate Girl
who's also the heroine of a (fictional) video game.
Mara de Oiseau, or "Mara" (as she is known to close friends), had just turned 18
, and decides that she wants to follow in her mother's footsteps as a swashbuckling pirate. Along with her first mate, Isabella ("Easy"), Mara begins her adventures, while being fully aware that she's in a video game.
A charm of the series (aside from the highly NSFW content, according to your mileage) is the amount of lampshading regarding just about every video game trope there is out there. It's also way on the Silly end in the Sliding Scale of Silliness vs. Seriousness
Eight issues of the series have been released, and the ninth will soon begin updating weekly for subscribers
. The first two issues can be read for free at eyeteeth's Yahoo! Group and Tumblr
. Previews, concept art and other information not found in the series
are over at the deviantART page
This series provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Mara and Sarena. Lady Faucon counts as a Dark Action Girl.
- Affectionate Parody: of sex and violence in Video Games by way of Up to Eleven and Played for Laughs.
- All Just a Dream: Issue 3.
- All Men Are Perverts: Played with. Blackbeard refused to be seduced by Sarena, and complained that Lady Faucon is a whore. Played relatively straight by the other men of the series.
- All Women Are Lustful: Most women are shown enjoying sex. Immensely.
- And Now for Someone Completely Different: Issue 7 features a new player character.
- Annoying Arrows: Averted. Mara lost a life after being shot multiple times by poisoned arrows.
- Art Evolution: Mentioned. Mara noted that she last saw the family château when she "was an 8-bit sprite".
- Artifact Title: Issue 7, since Mara lost her last life at the end of Issue 6. May be averted if she gets a credit to return to her game.
- Big Fancy House: Sarena used to own one, and in issue 4, Mara gets to infiltrate the place to see if any of her mother's treasure is buried in the area.
- Black Comedy Rape: Non-consensual sex Played for Laughs.
- Bloody Hilarious: Lots of blood are spilled in this comic, and mostly Played for Laughs.
- Brought Down to Normal: It's implied that Lady Faucon once had a non-human form, but she's stuck with her human one during the series.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Played with. While there is plenty of blood, areas which had been stabbed through or slashed do not show wounds.
- Clothing Damage: Mara loses her top in many fights.
- Corrupt Bureaucrat: The guard in Issue 4.
- How Mara sees the authorities.
- Cosmetic Award: Achievements.
- Covers Always Lie: The cover of issue 7 has Flockgard declaring that it's her book now. She died her Final Death at the end of the issue.
- Critical Existence Failure. Played with. While most of the time Mara can act as if nothing is wrong even when her Life Meter becomes low, with just a wee bit left, she was unable to escape Lady Faucon.
- Darker and Edgier: Issue 7, which deconstructs Game Over and Final Death. Player characters who enter Game Over are allowed one chance to insert a credit to get back into their games. If they fail to do so, then they suffer their Final Death. In a particularly gruesome manner. There is also much Fan Disservice.
- Death Trap: Sarena gets killed by many such traps.
- Erotic Asphyxiation: Played with. To the audience, it looks like this trope. To Mara, she was being choked to death by an enemy.
- Everybody Has Lotsof Sex: Certainly, Mara, Lady Faucon and Easy does.
- Everyone Is Bi: At least, Mara thinks so. Cue her surprise when an enemy mermaid turns out to be straight, and guessing her orientation wrongly turned out to be the mermaid's Berserk Button.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Esmelle was beheaded and her body trapped in the figurehead of Brule's ship, preventing her ghost from passing into the next life.
- Fan Disservice: Issue 7 has lots of this. Flockgard and her team are usually naked while horrible things happen to them.
- Final Death: For players like Mara and Sarena, losing all their lives in their games and failing to insert a credit will result in this.
- Fridge Logic: In-universe example. Mara wonders how her mother could accumulate so many lives despite her many deaths due to traps, when she herself find it impossible to keep even the one life that she found.
- Foreshadowing: The cover of Issue 5 hinted at how Mara lost a life in the issue.
- Game-Breaking Bug: Issue 3 was meant to be a Cutscene, but a bug broke it.
- Genre Shift: From pirates to Science Fiction in Issue 7.
- Ghost Memory: How "savegames" are treated in the series. Mara gets to see how Sarena died whenever she visits the sites where her mother was killed.
- Ghost Pirate: Captain Brule and his crew.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Mara and Easy.
- Gorn: Many death scenes.
- History Repeats: Lady Faucon caused Sarena's Final Death. She's also the one who took Mara's first life.
- Bonus points for using the same method in both killings: a slash to the stomach, followed by beheading.
- Hot Coffee Minigame: Mara in Issue 5.
- Idealized Sex: The series runs on it. Helps that the cast are all video game characters. And that as 3D models with off-the-shelf geometry, the female characters' bathing suit areas are a little lacking in detail.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Notable since it's the heroine who's the "pretty".
- Justified Tutorial: Played with. Easy tried to give Mara one before her first adventure. Mara skipped it by... "playing" with her.
- Konami Code: The directions are mentioned in Issue 3.
- Lamarck Was Right: Mara attributes her long Life Meter to her mother.
- Lizard Folk: The Space Lizards in Issue 7. The mooks are not very intelligent, but their leader is.
- Macguffin: Sarena's treasure trove(s).
- The poppets which allow an NPC to become a player.
- The Many Deaths of You: Sarena. It says something that despite her many Video Game Lives, she still manages to get Killed Off for Real.
- Easy warned Mara that if she gets caught in this trope too often, she'll follow in her mother's footsteps. By the end of Issue 5, she's down to her last life.
- Masquerade Ball: Mara attends one in Issue 4.
- Medium Awareness: Many characters are aware that they are in a videogame.
- My Rules Are Not Your Rules: The natives of Thong Atoll are supposed to kill anyone who sets foot on the atoll in anything more than a thong. They will enforce the rule strictly if said person is a player. Mara lost a life because she wore her headband in addition to the thong. For non-players, apparently a fine will suffice.
- Naked People Are Funny: No, they are not in this series. No one cares if any character is seen running around naked.
- It must be mentioned that Mara was surprised when she was relieved of her fancy dress in Issue 4. All three times.
- Never a Self-Made Woman: Mostly averted. Sarena and Esmelle became pirate queens on their own merits. Lady Faucon has the credentials to be Blackbeard's first mate. Mara invokes this trope in that she relies on her mother's fame for most of the respect she gets from others.
- Off with His Head!: Lady Faucon loves this.
- One-Hit Kill: Admiral Aegir expected to do this to Mara when he ran her through.
- 1-Up: Shows up in the form of a golden statuette. Part of Sarena's hidden treasure is rumoured to include several of these.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Given Mara's Medium Awareness, the look of hysteria on her face as she tells Easy that she saw her mother's killer tells the audience that something serious is happening.
- Oracular Head: Mara found a talking skull on board Brule's ship.
- Oxygen Meter: When Mara goes underwater.
- Parental Incest: eyeteeth was so amused by a fan suggesting that Mara and Sarena should be together (without realising that they are related) that he drew a one-shot depicting Easy suggesting the idea to Mara. Mara was horrified by the thought.
- Pirate: Mara sees herself as type 2. Blackbeard is a clear type 1.
- Pirate Girl: Mara, along with Lady Faucon and Easy.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: Averted. Both Mara and Blackbeard had been observed searching for treasure, while Sarena was seen as the scourge of the high seas by the authorities.
- The Plan
- Blackbeard and Lady Faucon planned to steal poppets from Mara after she had found them.
- Tethys and Admiral Aegir planned to "use her(Mara) up, until she begs me (Tethys) to take her last life".
- Player Character: Mara and Sarena. As befitting a video game, they follow different rules as compared to the NPCs.
- Blackbeard's aim is to become one.
- Plot Armor: Down to your last life, your Life Meter less than 50% and finding a Healing Potion? Only way to explain it.
- Press X to Die: "Press Start to Die" on the cover of Issue 1.
- Protagonist Title
- Rasputinian Death: Sarena during her execution, as befitting a PC with many lives. However, it may not be what actually happened. See Unreliable Narrator below.
- Really Gets Around: Mara.
- It's implied that Sarena was this as well.
- Refuge in Audacity: Sex and gore Played for Laughs.
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: Spoofed by Captain Brule. It was his second death that was "muchly exaggerated".
- Respawn Point: Several appear in the story.
- Rule of Cool: Why Faucon's rapier can behead people. (In Real Life, they can't.)
- Rule of Funny
- Rule of Sexy
- Scoring Points: The highest score Mara has been seen with is in the high 4 to low 5 digits (preview of Issue 6). Sarena's is in the low 7 digits, at least.
- Serious Business: As one native on Thong Atoll admits, the "thong-only" rule is ridiculous. But, the natives will still kill to uphold it. Even Blackbeard went along.
- That, and they don't take rejection of their traditional "ritual" kindly. Unless you're Blackbeard.
- Sex God: The men of Thong Atoll.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Many women who appear in the story.
- Shock and Awe: Esmelle.
- Shout-Out: To many, many video games and video game tropes. The setting and characters are heavily inspired by Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat, a game by Westwood Studios.
- Start Screen: The words "Press Start" are on the first page of Issue 1.
- Tattooed Crook: Many examples. Sarena, Mara and Easy, to the authorities. Lady Faucon to Mara.
- Thong of Shielding: If the girls are wearing anything at all, this is usually it.
- 20 Bear Asses: Discussed when Mara was to find 20 crab's eyes for a quest.
- The Undead: Ghosts and skeletons so far.
- Unreliable Narrator: Mara was told that Sarena died her Final Death as part of her execution by the Cerulean Armada. However, Mara knew for a fact that her mother's Final Death came from a fight with Lady Faucon. The narrator is Tethys, who is somehow involved in Sarena's Final Death.
- Up to Eleven: Let's just say that the amount of sex and gore in the series will not be seen in a mainstream videogame anytime soon. It's all Played for Laughs though.
- Video Game Lives: Both Mara and Sarena have them. While the highest number Mara has been spotted with is 3 (at the beginning of the series), Sarena has been seen with 27.
- Flockgard's lives are tied to her points, which she loses every time she fails a mission.
- Volleying Insults: Traded between Lady Faucon and Mara in Issue 3.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Both the men and the ladies do this. Nudity is not treated as a big deal in this video game.
- Woman Scorned: Esmelle, although she vented her anger mostly on Mara.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: When seeing ghosts fly in Issue 5, Mara thought that they were using cheats.
- You All Look Alike: Some NPCs. Lampshaded numerous times.