Webcomic: Joe Loves Crappy Movies
Joe Loves Crappy Movies
is a webcomic about an avid movie-goer, Joe Dunn, his friends and family
, and commentary on movies and the movie industry. The comic also serves as a review of said movie covered in the strip. It can be found on the Digital Pimp website.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Irv is on the record as saying he can't live without excessive amounts of alcohol.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Inverted. Joe complained that there were twelve things he did that day that were better than the ending to Hitman. The top three: going to the bathroom, eating lunch, and getting in a gunfight with Morgan Freeman.
- Art Evolution: Seen as the strip progresses. Actually lampshaded in the Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist strip, where someone said Joe's art was getting too complex. The resulting comic was simpler as a result.
- Author Avatar: Not only of Joe, but of Irv, another Digital Pimp member.
- Awesome McCoolname: Switchblade Motorcross Dunn, the hypothetical child of Joe and Yeo.
- Joe has a number of names picked out that fall under this trope-but he takes back Potato-Eating Mick Dunn.
- Back Stab: When all else fails, stab the Grimace.
- Badass: Ben Kenobi. He was really the one to kill Greedo.
- Uwe Boll. Among other things, he's Cloverfield. And that's why he doesn't care that you hate his movies.
- Captain Obvious: Palpatine will insult you if you invoke this trope.
- Catch Phrase: Parodied where EVERY role Samuel L. Jackson plays ends in motherfucker.
- Cloning Blues: Joe pondered what it would be like if he cloned himself so he could see a lot of movies at once. It didn't work: all of them went to see the same movie.
- Cosplay: Joe and his friends when seeing the second Fantastic Four movie. Except Yeo. She went home.
- The Halloween strips
- Even George got one in when he shot Vanilla Ice for ripping off Under Pressure
- Deal with the Devil: What Christopher Nolan did to get the cast of Batman Begins. When asked by Hitler if it was Worth It, Nolan replies that it totally was.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Why Poseidon happened: Fergie was on board and God hates the Black Eyed Peas.
- Drinking Game: Joe, Irv, and Yeo play one when they see The Pink Panther. The rules: take a sip when they lose respect for Steve Martin. 70 seconds later?
- Even the Guys Want Him: Morgan Freeman, apparently.
- Fan Disillusionment: Joe after seeing the first Fantastic Four movie. The Nostalgia Filter won out quickly, though.
- For Want of a Nail: Had Irv not gotten sick, everyone could have gotten tickets to the premiere of Mission: Impossible III.
- Godwin's Law: Invoked when Irv asks why there aren't minority Terminators.
- Groin Attack: Joerules vs. a stranger.
- Joe vs a football. Twice. Then a guy in a football costume shoots him.
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: Their minds were blown when someone suggested hitting their target.
- Killer Rabbit: Used as an example of what would be scary.
- Klaatu Barada Nikto: Of course, with the Grimace in Keanu's place, it's Klaatu Barada Milkshake.
- Made of Explodium: The tiger sent by Michael Bay to attack a reporter that misquoted him. Which then transformed into a fire engine.
- May-December Romance: Parodied when Tom Cruise brings out Dakota Fanning instead of Katie Holmes.
- Mr. Seahorse: The only two people Joe trusts enough to carry his child (if they need a surrogate) are Irv and Batman.
- Mood Whiplash: the Up in the Air strip
- No Fourth Wall: This is a world where Irv's best friend is Leondias, Captain Picard plays Iron Man on the Marvel vs. Capcom arcade game, and Joe's survived Saw twice!
- One Steve Limit: Parodied in the Snakes on a Plane comic
- Porn Stache: Joe notes that this was part of Burt Reynolds' appeal, and expresses horror when he shaves it. Yeo would still hit that.
- Prison Rape: Hinted at when Joe goes to prison in The Longest Yard strip, and George in the Let's Go to Prison strip
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Parodied when Joe and Phil ponder how Leondias would translate into modern life. One of this comic's frames is the trope page picture.
- The Rashomon: Lampshaded. It's ABOUT Rashomon
- Real Men Wear Pink: Leo's spirit animal is Hello Kitty.
- Rule of Cool: Why God's willing to overlook the Artistic License - Physics in Star Trek
- Why Joe wore the eyepatch after beating George
- Running Gag: UH-DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHH!
- NERD! *punches nerd in the stomach*
- Why would you stab the Grimace?
- So Bad, It's Good: In-Universe. Joe's raison d'etre is to watch movies that fit this trope.