is a geek-oriented thrice-weekly updated webcomic, written and drawn by Joel Watson.
This comic is centered around "Geeking for the sake of Geekery". Most of the comics use one geek pop-culture reference to make fun of another geek pop-culture reference. The creators describe it as "Penny Arcade
minus video games, plus everything else."
Not to be confused with the trope Hilarity Ensues
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Alt Text: Starting with the September 2010 site redesign.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Parodied in this strip.
- Art Evolution
- Bacon Addiction: According to Josh, everything's better with bacon.
- Bazaar of the Bizarre: District 9, as parodied in this strip. "Oooh! Spoiled pig face!"
- The Bear: Josh is a textbook example.
- Bait-and-Switch Comparison: Between spoiled hollandaise sauce and antifreeze.
- Cosplay: Josh's infamous Kratos costume, which spurs him to create a kickass Big Daddy/Little Sister combo suit.
- Filler: The various "photo comics" that Joel has begun posting whenever he goes on a trip somewhere.
- Guest Strip
- Have You Told Anyone Else?: Provides the trope image.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Josh ate his own replacement arm he had been growing from pig DNA when he realized it was made of pork.
- Hobos: The recurring character Boxcar Pete, who wears a monocle, talks like a pirate, and buys Josh's used iPhones.
- Life Embellished: Obviously almost none of what goes on in the strip really happened, but the characters are real people.
- Pod Cast: Weekly.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Many strips are based on real-life events (and branch off according to the Rule of Funny): Josh's Kratos costume going viral, the site's issues with their first host, Joel's hard drive dying, Joel's spine problems...
- The Red Stapler: The shirt from this strip became a real shirt "due to overwhelming demand", although this was clearly the intent.
- Schedule Slip: Since it relies on topical humor, there's no backlog, so whenever something comes up in Joel's personal life that keeps him from drawing a new strip (which is often), there's no new strip.
- At one point, the site's banner read "4 Times a Week." This lasted roughly one week, during which there were only three strips.
- Come to think of it, that might have been the week of April Fools' Day...
- Slice of Life
- Take That: Too many to count. Starting from the very first installment, which makes fun of Spider-Man 3.
- Talk Like a Pirate: Boxcar Pete.
- They Killed Kenny: Josh. There's actually a tag for "Josh dies".
- Trademark Favorite Food: Josh really likes bacon.
- Unsound Effect: Frequently.
- Write Who You Know: The main cast is Joel and his two real-life friends.