Webcomic: Harpy Gee
Harpy Gee is a web comic by animator Brianne Drouhard (Producer of the Amethyst Princess of Gemworld cartoon among other works).The comic takes place in a fantasy like world and focuses on a young Elf girl named Harpy who, after breaking her sword fighting a giant slug, wanders into a nearby town to get it replaced. The owner of the local merchant shop, a witch doctor, takes an interest in her and lets her stay at the shop, even offering her a job. Thus Harpy finds herself working there, meeting the town's other denizens and beginning her new life in this rather strange kingdom.Originally hosted on Dumm Comics. As of September 8, 2014, it now has it's own page part of the Hiveworks collective, both updated Mondays.Now has a character page, please contribute.
Harpy Gee has the following tropes
- Action Girl: Harpy herself, she demonstrates this in the first few comics by fighting a giant snail attacking her. Later on, she quickly leaps into action when a dragon attacks Truffle's birthday party.
- Animesque: Adopts the style, course those who've seen Brianne's usual work know this is par for the course from her.
- Blackmail: Harpy seems to dread someone named Wolf, who the Duke likewise knows. He threatens to tell Wolf of her location...unless she saves Prince Humphrey, who's been kidnapped by baby dragons.
- Likewise, the Duke holds this over Humphrey himself. He doesn't have to let his nephew stay with him, after all, he could easily send him back to his parents and sister. He's also holding the fact that he hasn't yet questioned Humphrey about the mysterious circumstances of the prince's arrival serve as a threat.
- Bag of Holding: Harpy's cat, Pumpkin, is a living version of this.
- Black Comedy Burst: When a dragon attacks a party, one of Ash's co-workers tries to attack it, gets eaten, and it spits out his flaming skull. Everyone pretty quickly moves on.Ash: Harpy! You have to teach me how you [beat that dragon]!
Harpy: Wasn't your buddy just incinerated?
Ash: Oh yeah! That was scary!
- Behind the Black: While the Duke speaks with Harpy after putting her in a cell, Humphrey, Opal, and Ash shove his huge guard into another cell, along with the thief, while standing right behind him. The Duke doesn't notice until he turns around.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Zipper, Hotdog and Trigger, even mentioned as such on the character page.
- Harpy as a child.
- Complaining About Rescues They Don't Like: Harpy when Humphrey manages to save her from falling off a dragon. She's more annoyed by what the rescue implies, which is that he could have rescued himself anytime since he had wings. Course then he reveals that 1) it's not a power he likes using and 2) he gets air sick easily.
- Deadpan Snarker: Harpy when something or someone (usually Ash or the town brats) annoy her.
- Evil Detecting Cat: Harpy mentions that Pumpkin gets moody when dragons are nearby.
- Diving Save: In midair no less.
- Eaten Alive: Poor Dude Bro.
- Fantastic Racism / Humans Are Bastards: Wolf's opinions of humans.
- Guest Strip: Brianne had to delay the main story for a bit and allowed a few guest artists to take over during the down time.
- I Call It "Vera": Ash's sword is called Rusty largely for the notches it has on it. When Harpy mocks him for it, he retorts it uses to belong to his father and that he slew a dragon with it.
- Harpy has a sword named Howler.
- Magic Eater: Goblin Cats as it turns out. One nearly wiped out the Elf Kingdom in the distant past. Pumpkin is why Harpy has no magic.
- Motor Mouth: Opal's introduction to Harpy.
- Nightmare Face: A more beign version, but Humphrey's features become more monstrous if he freak out in panic or anger.
- Off with His Head!: The snail that Harpy meets in the first comic. Subverted as it grows back a new one after she leaves.
- Origins Episode: Chapter 2 goes into detail how Harpy and Pumpkin met, and then into Humphrey's backstory.
- Perpetual Frowner: Pumpkin always seems to have this as a default expression. Likewise Prince Humphrey.
- Pointy Ears: Harpy being an elf, this isn't surprising.
- Pun-Based Title/ Punny Name: You can say Harpy Gee without saying RPG.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Peppers and Truffles.
- Shout-Out: Opal's pretty much this comic's version of Kiki.
- Sibling Rivalry: Humphrey and his sister Princess Helesia. The former honestly doesn't care about it but the latter loves to flaunt her "superiority" over him since he's in a local village while she runs a castle in the Capital. In fact she was the one who engineered Lizard Guy leading to the dragons to crash his party as a "joke". Humphrey naturally isn't amused. She's also a powerful sorceress while Humphrey might be turning into a monster.
- Spit Out a Shoe: When a guard is Eaten Alive by a dragon, it spits his now flaming skull out (which is even making a frowny face).
- The Runaway: Harpy is revealed to be one from her mentor Wolf after he failed to keep a promise of taking her on one of his expeditions.
- Humphrey is one as well, due to wanting to hide his transformation from his sister.
- The Stoic: Prince Humphrey, though he falls into Not So Stoic when he gets his birthday present from the Elf Queen.
- Too Dumb to Live: Harpy says it herself when the party finds out Creepy Lizard Guy practically lead the dragons right to them.Harpy: What kind of moron steals gold from a dragon's nest?!
- Likewise Dude Bro for attacking Goldie by himself.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Apparently a dragon's whiskers.
- Witch Doctor: Opel, a rather strange variant in that she doesn't look like the archetype (apparently it's a separate thing, she's a witch that happens to be a doctor) and uses a shovel to fly around.