Webcomic: Grim Tales from Down Below
Follow me to the edge of madness. and don't forget to send Jack
a postcard from Yog-Sothoth.
The second crossover webcomic
from Vinson Ngo a.k.a Bleedman
(the first being Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi
), created in late 2004 (roughly a year after PPGD was started). Grim Tales from Down Below is a fan-comic based on fanfics, focusing on two characters created by E.R.M Griffin (DeadDoll00), the children of Grim and a now adult Mandy, from The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
, who in this Alternate Continuity
are the king and queen of the underworld: Grim Jr. (a.k.a. Junior) and his patchwork sister Minnie (short for Mini-Mandy), while incorporating an origin fanfic for the two which was written by SonicRose.
Like PPGD, Grim Tales started off at DeviantArt
before Ngo moved it to Snafu-Comics. Already well known, Grim Tales added more readers to Ngo's already overflowing fanbase. Ngo has a penchant for incorporating Narm
, and Darker and Edgier
, and extreme Fan Disservice
in his works, and as such, the comic has garnered some controversy, particularly regarding a plot point within the comic where it is revealed that Mandy initiated the terrorist attacks of September 11th in an attempt to win Grim's affections.
After six years , the main series eventually finished in June 2009 and was apparently the end to the series. However Ngo unveiled he was working a short sequel called AfterBirth
that apparently deals with Minimandy coping with her agelessness and being left alone after Junior sets out on a life of adventure. Here are some preview pics of the comic.
This story, however, has been stated to be non-canon
In February 2011, the comic continued with a mini-series called Grim Tales: What About Mimi
). The comic follows Him's Daughter
Mimi, who is sent into the Grim's household to local an object of immense power for him. During said mission, Mimi's past is brought to light
bringing many shocking swerves with it. That eventually ended in July 2012.
After which came, Grim Tales: Further Orientation
(GTFO), which is a collection of short stories featuring the main characters.
After the aforementioned GTFO ended with the first "Mimi" file, he began on "Grim Tales: Chapter VIII (Eight)" in April 2013.
Yeah if you haven't guessed by this point, Bleedman really loves working on this series.
If you're intrigued by all of the above, then commence reading
. The sequel, Afterbirth
, is uploaded fully on the Grim Tales Wiki. (Warning: you will have to navigate carefully to avoid spoilers)
Now has a Character Sheet
. Feel free to contribute.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Pain's sword
- Abusive Parents: Mandy and Junior share a not-so-heartfelt moment. Judging from the Reaction Shot from the rest of the family, it's supposed to be an unusual, What the Hell, Hero? thing... if it's not already a regular occurrence.
- Accidental Pervert: In the middle of a battle between Mimi and Minnie, Junior's head and spine are dropped to the ground. Once he's on/near the ground, he's visually confronted with a clear view up Mimi's skirt.
- Almost Kiss: Mimi is such a Moment Killer sometimes.
- Always a Bigger Fish: No kidding
- Antagonist in Mourning: Of all the evils in this universe, Aku plays this trope straight. He became so depressed after the death of Samurai Jack that he turned his home into a copy of Jack's culture to have something to remember him by.
- Art Evolution: Same as PPGD, the style changed as the comic progressed
- Art Shift
- Ascended Fanon: The flashback was originally a fanfiction written by a fan that Bleedman decided to incorporate into the story.
- Author Appeal: Mimi and Junior have a very...suggestive relationship.
- Author On Board
- Badass: Has quite a few of em.
- Badass Family: Junior and his family definitely count and by extension his mother's lovers. But the biggest example would be Mimi's family which includes her father Him , mother Blossom and her two aunts, Bubbles and Buttercup and her grandfather Prof. Utonium . And if this picture is any indication Dexter and Courage are part of the family as well.
- Bad Future: this strip
- Bad Humor Truck
- Barred from the Afterlife: It has Billy die and end up in Heaven. But the saints get fed up of him and kick him out (literally). Billy then ends up in Hell. But they get fed up of him there as well and he ends up wandering the Earth as a spirit.
- Beam-O-War: It's payback time, bitch!
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Junior's Nergal side has reduced itself to help him on babysit Mimi because Junior is way much nicer to it than its previous owner.
- Big Bad: Three of 'em: Ooogie Boogie, Him, and finally Minnie's Nergal demons. Boogeyman in the non-canon sequel Afterbirth.
- Big Damn Heroes: Several. This being a quite prominent example.
- Raven was looking like one in Mimi's flashback...until Him shows up
- Big Screwed-Up Family: Something of a recurring theme among the various families in play. Perhaps not surprising, considering the greater part of the cast is comprised of demons or worse. Ranges in magnitude from the occasional silliness to jaw-dropping acts of hostility and abuse.
- Berserk Button: Do not mess with Junior if you don't want to face the wrath of Minnie. Which leads us to...
- Beware the Nice Ones: Minnie is sweet, gentle, respectful, and caring. Make her mad if you want to.
- Black Speech
- Brother-Sister Incest: Minnie thinks of Junior as more than just a brother, despite her denials, This seems to indicate that at some point in the future Grim Jr. will return her affections . Right now they seem to have an odd brother-sister version of a Romantic Two-Girl Friendship. Continued with implications that Mimi might be Junior's half-sister as well, and her own half-sister seems to have feelings for her.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: Or Nergal, as the case may be.
- More of a lampshading than an actual invocation of said trope.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Nergal to Grim over how Junior and Minnie were conceived.
- And Junior to Mandy over Mimi. Amazingly she's the one who backs down
- Canon Discontinuity: Grim Tales: Afterbirth, which was marketed as a sequel to the original webcomic, has been declared non-canon.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Minnie is not appreciative of Junior appreciating Mimi's skills, or her Too Kinky to Torture moment.
- Continuity Nod: While under Her-induced rage, Minnie makes reference to a piece of Valentine's day throwaway art involving the girl in the well.
- Cooldown Hug: Minnie gives Junior one to stop his monster side.
- And before that Junior gave a Cooldown kiss to Minnie stop her from going School Days on him.
- Crossover: With several other shows. Most notably, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Danny Phantom.
- Dora the Explorer, Teletubbies... where IS that Ice Cream Man from, anyway?
- Prepare to feel very silly... he's from Spawn, of course. He's a paedophile serial killer named Billy Kincaid.
- Even some characters from the obscure cartoon Visionaries appear as Many's henchmen.
- Mandy's weapon vault is a room made of shoutouts to too many other books, movies, comics, cartoons and myths to count... but it's fun to try anyway
- Cute Monster Girl: Minnie, Mimi Him's Daughter
- Afterbirth bring us more of them including Mina who makes an actual appearance in the main series.
- Now there's Chi, daughter of Aku.
- Darker and Edgier
- Read Afterbirth. If you thought Grim Tales was morbid... you ain't seen nothing yet. Let's summarize: The happy ending of Grim Tales rebounds - Minimandy has undergone an "Afterbirth" making her permanently stuck in her zombie body. Prior to this Junior left, preferring to train himself as a lone wolf so that his powers don't affect his loved ones (even though Minimandy was helping him with it). She leaves, gets abducted by the Boogeyman and offers herself as his bride, losing both of her eyes. Meanwhile, Junior is infuriated when he returns home to find her missing. This prompts a quest to find her, resulting in a rather disturbing encounter with an evil counterpart, Drax, while Junior's own half-siblings (born from Mandy and Dark Danny's illegitimate child) get used as science experiments. When the Big Bad is faced, he has captured the souls of children to fuel his own powers, and is defeated by getting literally dragged into the bowels of hell, telling the protagonists that they will burn for their parents's folly. And the ending... Dark Danny is back to cause some unknown trouble shortly after the protagonists head home, most likely to cause hell over seeing his children acting benevolently and not as the destructive forces of nature he intended them to be.
- Death by Cameo: Irwin, Hoss and Raven already have met that fate, now Blossom will more than likely be heading there soon. Or, at least, Fate Worse Than Death.
- Never Found the Body, For Raven and Hoss... and Irwin... well... it's not exactly verified.
- It's mentioned offhand in GTFO that Him killed all of them, while Mimi was forced to kill her mother.
- Defiant Stone Throw
- Distracted by the Sexy: Looks Like She Is Enjoying It. That was clever.
- Grim's urgent entrance gets a little side tracked, as seen here. Not that we can blame him.
- The Dog Bites Back: The Nergal symbiote reveals that all the destruction it caused in Halloween town was to vent out all the frustration inside it for years of being Minnie's slave. According to it, Minnie was just like Mandy towards Grim to it; when Minnie returned from Heaven, it tried to devour her in desperation, because it didn't want to return under her heel.
- Eldritch Abomination: Ngo is quite apt at these.
- Emergency Transformation: The comic pretty much leads up to this.
- Enemy Without: What happened when Junior couldn't control Minnie's powers.
- Failure Is the Only Option: Him knew all along that Mimi wouldn't be able to stand reliving her greatest fear via "Horror's Hand." The mission to retrieve it was pretty much his way of "disciplining" her for her earlier betrayal.
- Fan Disservice
- Flipping the Bird: Junior to Mandy. Kid's either got a solid set on him for a skeleton, or an un-death wish.
- Flowery Elizabethan English: Minnie Mandy speaks like a person under the influence of too much William Shakespeare.
- Gender Equals Breed: Minimandy is a human and Junior is a reaper.
- Somewhat subverted by the fact that Minimandy is actually the illegitimate child of Mandy and Nergal Jr.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Grim flat out says this to his son. Minnie even says "the pain will be brief".
- Gorn: This page, especially the last two panels.
- Heel-Face Turn: Mimi
- Hot Springs Episode: Aku has natural hot springs in his castle which leads to great amounts of Fanservice from his Gender Bender form.
- How We Got Here: The whole comic is basically one big flashback. Even having a flashback within a flashback when Junior tells Lock, Shock, and Barrel how his parents got together.
- And Grim has a flashback inside THAT one.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: Mimi pulls this is pretty much every appearance, some of them are truly absurd, and hilarious.
- I Know You Are In There Somewhere Fight: Junior with Minnie due to Him's influence.
- If I Can't Have You: DIE!'''
- I Just Want to Be Badass: Grim Junior is surrounded by formidable badasses far more powerful and dangerous than he is, which is difficult to bear when you're the Grim Reaper's 'son.'
- I'll Kill You!!: See above spoiler.
- Incest Subtext: Minnie has... tendencies. Straight into text as of the latter half. Heavily teased.
- Inexplicably Awesome: It's never made clear why Mandy, even as a ten-year-old, had an aura more dark and evil than the Grim Reaper himself. Then again, does it really matter?
- Informed Ability: Helga Pataki can be a jerk, but the idea that she's ended up as ”the meanest and rottenest teacher in the underworld” is overdoing it.
- Interspecies Romance: Mandy and Grim, Minimandy and Grim Jr., Mimi and Grim Jr., and Mandy and Nergal Jr.
- Kamehamehadoken: Dark Danny
- Lovecraftian Superpower: The Nergal demons have these
- Love Triangle: Grim Jr., Minnie,and Mimi.
- Loser Protagonist: For all his berserk buttons and what demon-reaper powers he may possess, protagonist Grim Junior is consistently flattened by any serious opponent he goes up against.
- Mayfly-December Romance: Mandy and Grim.
- Meaningful Background Event: During the fight with the Pumpkinator redux Nergal Junior's silhouette is visible.
- Mega Crossover: And how! Even Spawn shows up.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Most monsters tend to have enormous mouths full of pointy fangs. Bleed's rendition of Mina from Mina and The Count is a mild example.
- Ms. Fanservice: Mandy grows up real nice. REAAAALLL NICE.
- Neck Snap: How Him kills Irwin.
- Mimi pulls one on Junior also, but it's played for laughs as the whole page was a big Mortal Kombat spoof/parody/etc.
- Negative Continuity: The use of this in The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy is revealed to be Grim just not feeling like reaping them.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Observe.
- Noodle People: Minnie has extremely long legs for an eight-year-old girl, and highlights this by wearing leotards and extremely short dresses all the time. Exhibit A. It gets more pronounced as the Art Evolution goes on; in the beginning she looks more normal. Junior looks pretty noodley himself in this page.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Practically everything that happens in the story is Junior's fault for telling his sister off. Disaster Dominoes, anyone?
- Obligatory Swearing
- Oh, Crap: Several times, especially Junior's face in this comic
- One-Winged Angel: Minnie, with and without her soul. Particularly gruesome in the latter.
- Orphan's Ordeal: In this image, Mimi witnesses Raven's death at the hands of Him, barely able to utter the word "Mama" as she falls. Given what we know becomes of her under Him's "care"...
- She survived, but given how things are going, give it another three pages...
- Panty Shot: Oh sorry, "Realistic Skirt Physics".
- Pass the Popcorn: Clockwork.
- Pensieve Flashback: Mandy activates a device in the vault which sends them and Mimi into one.
- Purity Personified: Minnie. Except for the incest and Yandere aspects.
- Puppy Love: Oh, dear God, the Puppy Love...
- Rescue Romance: Double subverted. Mimi was just able to delay Skulker enough time for Aku to rescue Chi and at first, Chi wasn't interested in Mimi for her being a "commoner" (despite being princess of another Underworld realm). But now Chi is head-over-heels for Mimi and paints those moments differently.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: Unknowly for her, Chi manages to put the finger in what's going on with Mimi's errand (from the "eaten by a demon dog" to "biting a boy's head"), and she just happens to be wishing her the worse for not replying her messages.
- Ruins of the Modern Age: When Mimi was affected by the Hand of Horrors, her greatest fear was centered in the Ruins of Megaville
- Ruling Couple: Grim and Mandy are always referred to jointly when it comes to the rule of the Underworld. Considering how Mandy is, this is no surprise.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Junior's Nergal side decided to step out now that Minnie is succumbing to her inner evil; he advises Junior to keep a close eye on Mimi just in case Minnie does somethig to her because now he's on his own.
- Shared Universe: with Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi (albeit a bit into the future)
- Actualy the co-writer/editor Bee Are and the colorist Seiryuga for PPGD have reportedly stated this to be false. Though as Seriyuga no longer works on the comic this has turned into a Flip Flop of God.
- Billy's unpredictable hourglass appears to be a shout out to Rincewind's.
- Nergal Jr. shows wup wielding Soul Edge Phantom.
- The same page as Adult Mandy is on? Yea, tear your eyes off her and look to the bottom-right. It's a line-for-line reference to "LABretto", from Dexter's Laboratory. Just see for yourself.
- The Angry Video Game Nerd cameos here as the personification of the Deadly Sin Wrath.
- The demon-mecha has an odd Verbal Tic. Yes...
- See The Cameo. Nasty Burger is from Danny Phantom.
- "Am I not Merciful!?"
- And just like the Jollibee shout out in The Power Puff Girls Doujinshi, Bleedman made a shout out to another another Filipino franchise in this page.
- Next to the sword Mini pulls out of Jr's Body to fight Mimi is a red-hilted Frostmourne.
- When Mimi infiltrates Grim's vault in the WHaM comic, every panel has one or two items on display in the background from some other franchise. They've ranged from Captain America's shield, to the Lament Configuration, to the Sword of Omens, the Omnitrix, Mjlonir, Hellboy's stone hand thing, Chemical X, Giglypi, a robot with Freakin Laser Beams, Spartan Shield, what looks like the silhouette of Link's shield, Freddy's clawed glove, and the Infinity Gauntlet. A silhouette that could be Hector Con Carne's brain, and the vial identified previously as Chemical X could just as easily be Antidote X, since it is black in color.
- Mimi in this page somewhat resembles Senjougahara (as seen in that page's image).
- The Golem may look familiar to those who watched Samurai Jack. He's the Lava Monster/Norse Warrior that Jack help set free. The size and color may be different, but the resemblance◊ is uncanny.
- Mimi fires Angry Birds!
- Him's replacement of Mimi's hands might be a reference to the folktale The Girl With No Hands.
- Him's background looks like Giygas from Earthbound.
- Skyward Scream - Mimi after her flashback from Hell
- Starfish Language: Check that article's picture.
- Summon Bigger Fish: Damn straight
- The Cameo: Coop seen here.
- The Chessmaster: Clockwork
- The President's Daughter: Minnie. For the love of God, Minnie.
- The Un Favourite: Poor Junior, doesn't mean his parents and especially his sister don't care though.
- Particularly ironic when considering the later revelation that it's actually MINNIE who is Grim's Un-Favorite, due to her being the child of Nergal Jr., himself the son of his old rival, Nergal. He hides it flawlessly in front of his kids, but he definitely favors Junior over Minnie by a long shot. Whether that changed when Nergal's powers was passed from Minnie to Junior is another matter...
- The Unintelligible: The "Nergellian Speak" Minnie, Nergal and later Grim Jr. possess is show only as symbols and never translated. Even the Ngo himself lampshades he has no idea what their saying.
- Although, sometimes you can get the basic idea of what they might be saying. Near the end, their "Nergellian" appears in the form of hearts.
- One of the most recent pages actually translates a short conversation between Junior and Mandy in the Nergel speak as footnotes.
- Take That: An extended flashback seems to be one directed at FusionFall The combined strength of the entire Cartoon Network lineup fails to stop Armaggeddon at the hands of Mandy, Grim, and Him.
- The Voiceless: Mimi doesn't utter a word through her appearance in the comic.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: Dark Danny has a line or two like this.
- Time Skip: If the preview pics are to be believed, Afterbirth will be this.
- Tomato Surprise: Minnie's actually the illegitimate child of Nergal Jr. and Mandy. Junior is also the illegitimate child of Mandy and an as yet unknown man, but the matter is dropped before that person is revealed.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Mimi being stretched out by Minnie only hurts her for a second until she starts liking it.
- Comes back again in a recent chapter where she moans with pleasure as she places a burning hot chakra to her forehead.
- Unrequited Love Switcheroo: At first, Chi didn't want to be anything of Mimi, who had a huge Celebrity Crush on her. Now, Chi can't get enough of Mimi, who may be falling for Junior now.
- The Worf Effect: Once again, poor Junior.
- Villainous BSOD: A brief one, but with a twist. Dark Danny here contemplates the chaos and destruction of Megaville shown in Mimi's past via "The Hand of Horror." He has a BSOD of sorts not because he caused the destruction, but that he wasn't around to cause it. Also a touch of Fridge Logic when you realize that with all the heroes gone, that includes the young Danny Phantom, meaning their rivalry will never be settled like Dark Danny wanted.
- Wall of Text: Rather extreme in both this and this
- Wham Episode: Grim Tales: What About Mimi? or GT:WhAM, where we learn about Mimi's Dark and Troubled Past and Junior and Minnie's path starts to divide.
- Yandere: Minnie.
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: Minnie.
- Your Cheating Heart: Mandy cheated on Grim with Nergal Jr., resulting in Minnie. Recently, she's apparently slept with Dan Phantom. As it's clearly stated that Grim cannot conceive a child (Junior has a different father and became Grim's son by being aborted), and it is unclearly stated that there isn't anything except bones to him, it might be a "can't fulfill your needs" situation, and Grim knows about Dan Phantom because he told Grim to his face in GT:WhAM, and in the Afterbirth preview Mandy has twins.
- Because we can't be so sure as to the extent of Blossom and Dexter's relationship in the future, but he could not have been pleased to discover that Blossom sired a child with Him, of all people.
- Of course, whose to say this wasnt done by another way.
- Although, the trend has been one of Bleedman's fetishes lately, adding just more half-siblings to Junior as story progresses, so maybe Author Appeal?
- You Said You Would Let Them Go: Here
- You Shall Not Pass: After Mimi's demonic essence is removed and contained, Mandy orders Pain to remove her from the premises...but Junior's suddenly blocking the way and his eye is aglow. Defying your mother is one thing, but when she's Mandy, it takes some real Brass Balls, skeleton or not.