Girls in Space
by James Spence is the story of two girls having space adventures in a converted VW Camper Van, trying to find their way back to Earth.
The Plot: A spacecraft on a delivery mission is forced to make an emergency landing on the backwater planet of Earth, specifically in Edinburgh, Scotland. The crew, two space girl sisters by the names of Zoe and Faye Strider hide out in a local Classic Car Dealership belonging to a down-on-his-luck gambler called Fergus Macrumble. He and his sister Scarlet (better known as Red) help the girls. However, things don't go to plan and instead of using their technical equipment on the spacecraft, Red's VW Camper Van is accidentally upgraded and launches into space carrying Red and Faye away from Zoe and Fergus.
Girls in Space is the story of Red and Faye's adventures trying to return to Earth.
Girls in Space is split up into individual stories of 34 pages:
Story 1 The Prototype
Story 2 Push the Button
Story 3 The Pickled Past
Story 4 Around the Universe in a Bath Towel
Story 5 Hell Creek
Story 6 Colourblind
The site also contains amusing classic Star Trek reviews in a weekly feature called Silly Trekker
, weekly pin-ups of the characters and the author contributes to the weekly The Webcomics Company
This series provides examples of:
- Alien Among Us: Zoe Strider is an alien on Earth
- Alt Text: Every page has an additional joke by hovering over it. In addition, the Star Trek Reviews on the site have images with Alt Text
- Big Red Button: The VW Camper has one.
- Blank White Eyes: The Henchbot is upgraded example
- Bounty Hunter: A Bounty Hunter and her Henchbot receive the girls' distress call in The Prototype
- Censor Suds: Red's modesty is preserved by them in this strip.
- Cool Car: Red's VW Bus is cool although somewhat unlikely as a spaceship
- Cool Starship: As above, Red's VW Bus is cool although somewhat unlikely as a spaceship
- Distress Call: Zoe Strider places a distress call in the opening scene of Girls in Space
- Fiery Redhead: Scarlet 'Red' Macrumble is a Scottish Red-haired hothead
- Infinite Supplies: The girls live on a Space Station called The Sanctuary. This is an enclosed ecosystem with fields, cattle and recycled water.
- It Runs on Nonsensoleum: The girls travel through space in a VW Camper Van. This was converted into a spaceship when the Universal Upgrader (a prototype made by an intergalactic electronics company) was fired at it.
- I Thought Everyone Could Do That: "I speak ALL of Earth's languages. Doesn't everyone?"
- Hammerspace: A "strippotamus" produces a gun from nowhere in this strip.
- Ms. Fanservice: At various stages the female characters appear in short skirts, underwear or in cheesecake poses. The fourth story Around the Universe in a Bath Towel sees Red having an adventure wearing only a towel.
- Meanwhile, in the Future: The Pickled Past is set in two time periods
- Modesty Towel: Red spends almost the entire fourth story wearing only a towel
- Omniglot: Zoe.
- People Jars: In The Pickled Past
- Science Fiction: Girls in Space is a Science Fiction story.
- Shout Out: Around the universe in a bathtowel.... hmm, always know where your towel is. And you can always change into a dressing gown, Macrumble Scarlet Macrumble...
- And the pyschotic killer robots. Anyone for Krikkett?
- Time Travel: The Pickled Past is set in the year 1644.
- Transformation Ray: The VW Bus was converted into a spaceship in the first story, when the Universal Upgrader (a prototype made by an intergalactic electronics company) was fired at it. The Protoype also transformed character Fergus Macrumble from a fat gambler into a muscular hunk and a horse called Asthmatic George into Athletic George.
- Unfazed Everyman: Red is a normal human travelling the universe, surrounded by aliens.