Webcomic: Geeks The Comic Strip
aka: Geeksthe Comic Strip
A gag-a-day webcomic by British artist/writer, Carl Anderson. Updates on Mon-Wed-Fri here. The strip follows the misadventures and antics of the staff of a fictional comicbook store called Comics Dungeon.Originally started in March 2007, the strip was at first a Gag-a-day done five times per week, but after a couple of years, it pulled back to three times a week, after it's change from black and white to color.The comic went into a break at the beginning of December 2012, and is relaunched, with a new direction, at the end of January 2013.The strip is now ending on December 20th, after running for seven years.
This comic shows examples of:
- Art Evolution: Over the past six years, the artwork has changed, along with the character appearances, and a move from black and white to colour.
- Cosplay: Chris looks for any excuse, mainly at a convention, to dress up like Captain Jack Harkness, and act like a whore around female cosplayers.
- Continuity Nod: References to Chris' past. Their old friend, Dave, being interred in a local asylum for obsessing over Star Wars figures. Their weekly D&D game campaign.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick - Lee. great with numbers, keeps a cool head when Chris loses his. He's just hamfisted when it comes to women.
- Jerkass Fašade: Chris acts and is known as being a jerk, but there's a reason he does it.
- Life Embellished: Some elements and gags are based on events that have happened in the author's life.
- Mall Santa: Running Gag every Christmas, Chris badgers a Mall Santa about the fact that he is still waiting for the bike he asked for, when he was eight years old.
- Put on a Bus: Dave sent to Arkwright Asylum after his breakdown in a toy store. Rick sent to same Asylum for going crazy after taking too many Vicodin.
- Proud to Be a Geek: Lee loves his video games. The group roleplay game together. Chris still loves Doctor Who, even though he's annoyed with the fandom.
- Running Gag: Chris attacked by the Ewok. The Hand of Luke and numerous others.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: Lee has fallen target to Gabe and Tycho of Penny Arcade, due to his video game playing and references.
- Slice of Life
- Snark Knight - Chris. He is a very cynical ex-fanboy, who has become jaded and tired of the fandom he was once so proud to be a part of. He enjoys speaking out about fanboys and getting rises out of passionate and obsessive fanboys.
- Take That: Many gags features in the strip take shots at movies, comics, TV shows, fandoms and random pop culture.
- They Killed Kenny: Tony, a reoccuring RPG player whose dice are trying, successfully, to kill him. Chris in several strips. Justin, usually when dealing with girls.
- Relaunch: The strip was relaunched in January 2013, after taking a break, for reworking and direction change.