From left to right: Robin, Vance, and Frey.
''Through the distorted lens I found a cure."
is a webcomic on deviantART
by Yuumei. In the fictional country of Central Eastern Republic ("CERia"), a young man named Vance Lee decides that he's been missing out on something. Something that porn simply can't replace. A girlfriend, to be more specific. And what better way to get a hot girl than to hack into his university and assign himself one for a roommate?
According to Vance, apparently none. Little does he know though, that this little "harmless" action would end up changing his life forever. He never does end up getting that hot roommate and instead, gets roped into some crazy conspiracy to overthrow the totalitarian regime that their country is under rule of; courtesy of his most-definitely-not female roommate.
Beginning on the 16th of March, 2013, seven parts of the first chapter (called "Chapter 0") have been released so far.
And in case you didn't read the footnote, you can start reading here
Fisheye Placebo demonstrates examples of the following tropes:
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Alex, Vance's younger sister.
- Asian and Nerdy: Vance, being a fan of anime/manga and memes, as well as a masterful hacker and computer science major, to boot.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Robin (see Bifauxnen).
- Big Brother Is Watching: The Solar Eye Division.
- Bifauxnen: Robin, when in disguise.
- Bland-Name Product: "Red Cow". It even has its own line of "energy cereal" - tagged as "quality seizures in a box," no less.
- Fun with Acronyms: Another name for the Solar Eye Division is the Bureau of Information Technology and Civil Harmony. Also known as the B.I.T.C.H.
- G.I.R.L.: Played with in Chapter 0 Part 3: Frey jumps onto Robin's account and pretends to be her when chatting with Vance, who understandably thinks he's Robin.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Vance seems quite fond of Robin.
- Hollywood Hacking: Averted. The "guiding a 3D version of yourself through a fiery maze" bit is strictly symbolism, and not what is actually happening to the characters.
- How We Got Here: The story starts off with a short snippet of what happens much later. The rest is in chronological order to lead up to that event.
- Large Ham: Vance, especially during his speech about taking fate into his own hands.
- Playful Hacker: Vance.
- Shout-Out: Oh so many. The page image itself is riddled with them.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: Robin.
- Word Salad Title
- Yaoi Fangirl: Alex, considering BL to be "the purest form of love".
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Frey has grey hair, though it was dyed.