Webcomic / Eldritch
is an Urban Fantasy
comic, focusing on the strange events in the life of Faith, a lycanthrope trying to learn the ropes
, and her pack of unusual friends: Maggie, a self-proclaimed “Crowtengu,” Dylan, a developing coyote spirit guide, Todd
, a Bzou (or fairytale wolf), the mysterious Seamus
, and Gaoth, one of the fae folk who is not only the local “Oberon,” but also owner of the paranormal bar and nightclub The Layline.
Eldritch was created by Shawna Garrity, AKA Nashoba Hostina, as a means of tying as many of the characters and concepts in her head together into a cohesive whole. The comic project itself was started while she was earning her Bachelor’s of Fine Arts, and she has continued it though the completion of her degree. However, many of the characters and concepts of Eldritch were conceived of long before the actual start of the comic, and may be viewed in her DeviantArt gallery
Unrelated with the same-name indie game
This show provides examples of:
- Appearance Is in the Eye of the Beholder: According to Maggie, Laylone is glamorized to appear in the most repulsive way to whatever looks at the store in order to keep the masquerade.
- Badass Boast: Faith delivers one epic one here:
- Big Damn Heroes: Faith ask Maggie to go to Layline and get help. She does!
- Bizarre Alien Biology: A combination of this and magic is what give the Eldritch their special abilities. For example, according to Seamus the Lycantropes can shapeshift thanks to a combination of special organelis and leylines (AKA: "Interdimensional magical energies present in the air, water and earth.") to convert dark matter into normal matter.
- Blood Knight: Lampshaded, but also deconstructed.
- Blow You Away: Wind-wolves are capable of doing this. Obviously a reference to the Big Bad Wolf in Three Little Pigs.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: According to Dylan, the hunter who tried to shoot Faith also tried to kill Todd with his shotgun, but Todd only receive a bullet burn. The hunter was easily defeated by Todd.
- Casanova Wannabe: Todd
- Chivalrous Pervert: Todd
- Cursed with Awesome: Faith doesn't like her wolf form.
- Fur Against Fang: Averted; they get along quite nicely. Well, as well as people get along with each other anyway, according to the author in one of the comments.
Anonymous Commenter: I love how you brought the vamps and werewolves together. 'Bout bloody time people stop with that old cliché.
Nashoba-Hostina: Well, there are areas where they don't get along too. But just like people, some folks click, and some don't.
- Genre Savvy: Faith comments that, at that point of her story, she would receive education over her species.
- Insane Troll Logic: The leader of the "Hounds of Gods" wants Faith to join his organization willingly... and he said that after he drugged, kidnapped and locked her in a cell for several days. Lampshaded by Faith.
- Let's Get Dangerous: Lampshaded in Faith's internal monologue when she comments that so far she has either refusing to accept her place in the Masquerade or hiding from its inherent danger, but once she learns that the ghouls will simply go after other people if she and Maggie run from them, Faith decided to face the ghouls by herself and simply ask Maggie to call for help in Layline.
- Magic A Is Magic A: Developed here. Explored further here.
- Mundane Fantastic: Subverted. Being a supernatural being doesn't prevent one of enjoying fantasy fiction and games.
- Our Dragons Are Different: John, a toy shopkeeper, is a Lindorm which is of a subspecies of dragons, and they hoard, usually one thing. John's hoard is out of plushies, because he picked something comfortable to lie on.
- Our Fairies Are Different
- Our Vampires Are Different: Apparently, they're magical constructs.
- Our Werewolves Are Different
- Papa Wolf: Todd, full style.
- Shout-Out: That's me! Your friendly neighborhood crowtengu!
- Urban Fantasy
- Weaksauce Weakness: Most Eldritch wolves are allergic to silver, but any bullet in the heart or head would do them in just as well.