Earth 14 is a web comic written and drawn by Insomniacís Corner that takes place in the DC Multiverse. It follows Val Halen and a number of other characters in Earth 14, an alternate universe where things are more centered on humor- a Lighter and Softer
slapstick contrast to the Darker and Edgier DCU
, though it does have its occasional dark moments. Val is just your average Earthling who had grown completely bored with the action paced world of heroes and villains of everyday life. One day s/he is given the opportunity to join the Blue Lanterns and accepts the offer. Hilarity ensues.
This web comic has examples of:
- Alternate Universe: It takes place in Earth 14, a comedic Lighter and Softer universe. Their technology is more advanced, colleges and healthcare are free, and historical events occurred differently. Racism and homophobia ended at a much earlier time, aliens are commonplace and there was hardly any war. Well into the present time, Earth 14 is almost a Utopia, as crime rates have gone down by 85%.
- Ambiguous Gender: Val is the most prominent example. In universe, most of the characters know Val's gender, while readers are left to decide for themselves.
- Amusing Injuries
- Art Shift: The covers to each chapter and some scenes within them. The style varies due to the artist trying to find a style to stick with.
- Badass Grandpa: The elderly heroes. Crosses with Cool Old Guy and Cool Old Lady, as well as with Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have thanks to the technology leaving them in peak physical condition despite being well into their 70s.
- Battle Couple: There are plenty to go around.
- Big Good: All of the heroes. The Guardians of the Universe as well, due to being much more competent and reasonable.
- Bloody Hilarious: Batmanís injuries in the first chapter to an extent.
- Canada, Eh?: Sky City is located in Ontario.
- City of Adventure
- Deadpan Snarker: Applies to plenty of the characters. Pretty much Valís defining trait.
- Different As Night and Day: A non related example, Val and Helia. The former is laid back, appears aloof, very sarcastic but is also rather popular and well liked. The latter is loud, obnoxious, has a serious ego and is one of the most disliked people in the corps.
- Faceless Masses: The citizens of when they are under attack. They appear as small colorless chibis.
- Fantastically Indifferent: Val maintains the same expression for pretty much any situation, from random aliens invading to being held hostage.
- The Future/Schizo Tech: While still the present time, Earth 14 is much more technologically advanced. However there are still areas and technologies not out of place in our present, such as regular cars in addition to flying ones.
- Genre Savvy: The majority of the characters are this, while Val's boredom is because of this. Growing up in a world of heroes and villains will do that to you.
- Gratuitous German: Captain Hanz of the Green Lantern Corps. He's a Space German, after all.
- Happily Married: All of the known couples are this way.
- Hopeless Suitor: Talos always kept falling for women that (he didn't know) are already with someone else. While it upsets him, he gladly steps down once he finds out. It's a Recurring Gag of his that is soon dropped after marrying Galatea.
- Jerkass: Helia so far.
- Made of Iron: Batman as seen in chapter 1.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Batman in chapter 1.
- The Medic: All Blue Lanterns.
- Perpetual Frowner: Val is the prime example by far.
- Present Day
- Rule of Funny
- Sigil Spam
- Solar CPR: Blue Lanterns can rejuvenate dying stars.
- Split-Screen Phone Call
- Translator Microbes: All lantern rings have this function.
- Unsound Effect: BOOMSPLOSION