is a Furry Web Comic
produced on weekdays by Jenner (a pseudonym of a practicing doctor in Australia).
The comic follows Dr. Benjamin "Ben" Rat and his family practice, with largely a Slice of Life
theme. Events in the comic suggests it is located in the vicinity of Melbourne. It shows his interaction with his various patients. Since they are also different species of animals, this can be a source for much of its comedic fodder. There is also plenty of Australian humor, doctor humor, and dealings with Australia's Medicare universal healthcare system.
The main character is, obviously, a rat
. The other main characters are Mary Scamper, his rabbit nurse, and Gizelle Thompson, his gazelle receptionist. There is also a rogue's gallery of regular patients which include koalas, numbats, kangaroos and a camel. Recently he married Danielle Hood, also a rat, who was previously his dentist and taekwondo instructor. Also listed is the local pharmacist, gorilla Phil Krubnuckle, though he's not featured as often.
Jenner created Doc Rat in the 1990s
and drew one-offs in various Australian medical journals as requested. He created the organized web comic in 2006.
This webcomic contains examples of:
- All a Part of the Job: CPR, rescheduling patients. . . .
- Androcles Lion: They don't try it on Charmane, despite the thorn in the paw.
- Bad Dreams: Pippie.
- Bad Liar: Ben's whiskers twitch when he lies. The bigger the lie, the more his whiskers twitch, as demonstrated here
- Be Careful What You Wish For: The paramedics solemnly invoke this over a heart attack.
- Bilingual Bonus: Flopsy the wolf's surname is Jaegermond, German for 'hunter's moon'.
- Camp Gay: Pat, a dog, one of his patients. Not only pretty flamboyant, but also very nosy.
- Captain Superhero: Captain Kerpow.
- Carnivore Confusion: Not central but present on a few strips. Follows a less brutal variation of Kevin & Kell rules.
- Cerebus Syndrome: Remember when the strip was just puns about medical conditions? That was quite a while ago.
- Cerebus Rollercoaster: It periodically has a new batch of pun-based "gag of the day" strips between story arcs.
- CPR (Clean, Pretty, Reliable): In one arc in 2009, one of his patients, bear Wilbur Fuzz, has a heart attack in his office. Ben and Mary do CPR on him until paramedics arrive to defibrillate him.
- Crapsack World: Where Kevin & Kell plays the concept of predating other sentient furries for laughs, this one plays it for drama. And it's become a major unfunny plot point.
- Crush Blush: Once while flirting with Danielle.
- Crying Wolf: Wilbur Fuzz feigned heart attacks to get emergency attention. Then. . . .
- Dark Secret: Keeping from your girlfriend that you're married.details
- Depraved Dentist: After Ben and Danni are in a relationship, Danni is forced to stop being Ben's Dentist. So she sends him to her associate, Doctor Bell - who happens to be an Anglerfish! See here
- Dirty Business: When Allan the security guard hits, and kills, the poisonous snake.
- Doctor's Orders: About travelsocks.
- Everything's Better With Sparkles: Even packaging
- Extreme Omni Goat: Nichaud the baby goat - but not her mom.
- Fur Is Clothing, Fur Is Skin: Averted. Fur is just hair. In every way.
- Furry Reminder: The source of much of the strip's humour.
- Heart Warming Orphan: Pippie
- Hope Is Scary: Hope hurts!
- I Don't Want to Die: The computer parodies it.
- The Insomniac: See Zombie Apocalypse
- Interspecies Romance: Flopsy (wolf) and Jazmyn (rabbit), something of a big deal considering wolves normally eat rabbits and Flopsy ate Jaz's ex-husband.
- Love Hurts: So do martial arts.
- Ludicrous Gibs: When watching a Horror film, Ben quips, "Huh. Nobody's got an artery there."
- Magic Genetics: Largely averted, until a rabbit and wolf apparently conceive. They regard it a miracle.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: Rabbits. Rats. Other creatures. And yet, they've got nothing on flies. (Has a tragic side, too.)
- Mistaken For Afterlife: Doc himself, in the dojo.
- Moral Myopia: Carnivores.
- Never Trust a Hair Tonic: Mr Pigg complains to the chemist that the tonic he'd purchased which promised to "add body to your hair" caused him to sprout hair everywhere. Turned out he'd read the label upside down; it actually said "adds hair to your body".
- Nobody over 50 Is Gay: Averted by Julian.
- Nobody Poops: Averted here.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: They haunt orphans.
- Papa Wolf: Flopsy, literally. Two of his stepkids got eaten by a fox. He broke the offending vulpine's legs and then paid for his medical treatment.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: When the Black Saturday bushfires occurred in 2009, Jenner incorporated them into the plot with one of his patients adopting an orphaned niece.
- Second Super-Identity: Captain Kerpow's secret identity is Awesome Possum, another crimefigher.
- Sexy Discretion Shot: Honeymoon
- Species Surname: In some cases (e.g., Doc himself) but not all.
- Spit take: Here.
- Straight Gay: Julian Sands, a camel. When it's discovered he is gay, however, it causes all sorts of issues for him and for Ben.
- Tattooed Crook: An elephant.
- Tears of Joy: At the wedding.
- Tempting Fate: A rabbit talking about how many of her babies are still alive.
- Textile Work Is Feminine: A fly knitting for her maggots.
- That Came Out Wrong: Ben and Danni's conversation at a restaurant here. Hilarity Ensues.
It's the lawyer in me. Ben:
Yes, I think we've all had a lawyer in us, at one stage or another. Pat:
- Think Nothing of It: "Just doing my job."
- Ungrateful Bitch: Even after Julian saves her son's life, Shirl hopes he dies.
- Whoopi Epiphany Speech: An orphan gets over her nightmares through drawing a picture, and seeing a boy draw one.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Fought on a video game — to turn into a walking dead the next day.