Webcomic / Clockwork Atrium
Clockwork Atrium is a suspense/drama about a boy who gets caught up in his school’s infamous "human Chess
" Deadly in reputation, he struggles to learn who his foes and allies are as well as his role in this game. With dozens of other students trapped on the playing board, will he be able to figure it out in time?
The comic is hosted by SmackJeeves
and you can read it here
Clockwork Atrium contains examples of:
- Academy of Adventure
- Bilingual Bonus: There is the occasional German swearing.
- Blondes Are Evil: Like Engel.
- Break the Cutie: After chapter 3, Hanna seems to be headed for this.
- The Chessmaster: The school itself for arranging this game and, to a more immediate extent, Kolton.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Lukas, to a T.
- Crazy People Play Chess: And how.
- Evil Cripple: Kolton has a bum leg from an injury in the previous chess game. Subverted in that he was probably evil well before that tournament.
- Fille Fatale: Engel, who is quite successful at manipulating Dietrich.
- Foreign Exchange Student: Genevieve is from France. She's threatened to have her student visa revoked unless she plays the chess game.
- Gambit Pileup: Plots and motives among the students and steadily tangling up.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Lukas is pretty volatile, though he apologizes earnestly for his outbursts.
- Human Chess: A very literal and possibly deadly variant.
- Ill Boy: Walter, thanks to hepatitis
- Like Brother and Sister: Dietrich and Anita.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: The supporting cast is quite generous in numbers.
- Loser Protagonist: Dietrich — as other characters are quick to point out.
- Psychological Thriller
- School Uniforms Are the New Black: Justified by the setting
- The Slacker: Dietrich starts this way, though it doesn't look like he'll be able to maintain this attitude for long...
- Smug Snake: Kolton Achen, to the level of an artform.
- The Sociopath: Kolton, Kolton, Kolton!
- Violence Is the Only Option: The justification given for playing the game.
Hanna: Why do we have to resort to violence?
Kolton: I understand you, Hofmann. You don't want to hurt anyone. But has it never occurred to you that some people have been scouted for this game because they do?