Webcomic / Camp Calomine
is a webcomic by Ralph E. Hayes
, who is better known for works like Goblin Hollow
and Tales of the Questor
. The story focuses mainly on a camp counselor named Charles, who has become a Deadpan Snarker
after the camp was bought and run by Hyper Tree Huggers who have no idea how anything works. The two main reasons he sticks around are to make sure the kids coming to the camp actually learn something about surviving in the wild and the Rule of Funny
when it comes to most of the other counselors.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: Most of the staff.
- Animal Wrongs Group: Show up on a few occasions, mostly falling afoul of the camp's population of badgers.
- Competence Zone It seems the only competent ones are Charles, the kids and one of the other camp counselors, the rest fall under Too Dumb to Live
- Deadpan Snarker: Charles definitely meets the requirements for this to the point that his stating correct facts gets him in trouble with his "superiors". He actually shows this at page one.
- Epic Fail: Charles's boys challenged Cathy's girls to a peeing-for-distance contest... and lost.
- Heroic BSOD: Cathy goes into one when confronted with the "superbrats".
- It Can Think: Grizzle the Badger apparently knows how to open soda cans.
- Russian Roulette: After getting fed up with other councilors pilfering her sodas from the fridge, Cathy proposes a variant of this. She puts a batch of seven pre-opened sodas in the fridge, one of which she'd previously spat in. The others are welcome to try their luck.
- Snipe Hunt: Councillor Fred has, at various times, signed petitions to ban snipe hunting, save the habitat of the Northern Egress, and ban oxydihydride use.
- Too Dumb to Live: Quite a few members of the adult cast seem to be excellent candidates for this if they don't actually qualify.
- Who Will Bell the Cat?: When Cathy lectures Charles about how irresponsible it is to feed the leftover cinnamon buns to the camp's mascot badger, Grizzle, Charles asks her if she would like to be the one to explain to the 35 pounds of claws and teeth why its sweets are getting cut off.