is a Professional Wrestling Webcomic
created by James Hornsby in 2008 and updated three times a week. At first, it followed the exploits of two small-time professional wrestlers: a young up-and-comer by the name of Rad Bad DeBone and a cynical old-school wrestler called Olav Orlav. The comic has since moved away from the two stars and their supporting cast in favor of parodying real life wrestling news and television angles seen in the WWE
. However, a spin-off comic titled "Over Like Olav" featuring the original characters has been given its own section of the site, with longer strips but more time between updates too.
A lot of the comic's humor comes from Affectionately Parodying
the wrestling business, the types of people who work in it and the people who watch it (or the stereotypical versions, at least). It's likely that there are some in-jokes only wrestling fans will get but Botched Spot is reasonably accessable for everyone, particularly the Olav/Rad Bad plotlines.
Botched Spot provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody
- Art Evolution: Naturally.
- Ascended Fanboy: Rad Bad. Jerry too, whose mom bought an indy wrestling promotion just so he could live out his fantasies.
- Captain Ersatz: Olav is most likely based on Nikolai Volkoff, who also had a gimmick as a Soviet character.
- While there are certainly shades of Volkoff in his character, his physical appearance is based almost entirely off of Ivan Koloff, another famous Soviet gimmick wrestler.
- Cheap Heat: Olav makes a habit of insulting local sports teams to get a reaction.
- Deadpan Snarker: Usually Olav.
- Eyes Always Shut: Olav. It was eventually lampshaded by The Great Droopi in "Olav's Title History".
Droopi: So do you have eyeballs or just little 'L's or what?
- Filler Strips: "Li'l Botched", featuring child versions of Olav and Rad Bad and a pun in each one.
- Foreign Wrestling Heel: Olav has been playing a Soviet Union character for a long time. He's not the only one: his former tag-team partner, Adala Von Wyn, had a Nazi Gimmick.
- Series Hiatus: From January 2nd to July 13th 2011. James Hornsby got back into the thrice-weekly schedule amazingly quickly.
- Smart Mark: Russell.
- The Rival: The Great Droopi in "Olav's Title History".
Olav: Yes, the Great Droopi! The Shawn Michaels to my Bret Hart! The Andy Kaufman to my women of Tennessee!