Webcomic / Between Two Worlds
Between Two Worlds
is a fantasy comic by Elanor Cooper and JJ Naas.
While enjoying vacation on a remote island, a group of friends discover a portal to another world, starting an adventure across worlds and time.
The comic is available at http://b2w.ungroup.net
- Agony of the Feet: Both Marcus and Yue step on sharp things in the water.
- Another Dimension
- Alien Sky
- Apocalypse How: The world the mists lead to
- Babies Ever After: For Kiwi, anyway. Where did she find a male cat?
- Butt-Monkey: Unpleasant and annoying stuff seems to prefer Marcus to his friends.
- Cabin Fever: Everybody gets very snippy when the rescue mission has to be postponed, because the portal closes on moonless nights.
- Closed Circle: Both islands. The another world one additionally enclosed by magic mist.
- Cloudcuckoolander: The Old Guy's gone more than a bit loopy since he got Trapped in Another World.
- Coming-of-Age Story: Kinda, sorta. Moreso for Marcus and Juhani, who spend some time surviving in the dead world.
- Contrived Coincidence: So R2 and Marcus just happened to discover the abandoned cottage (with a broken doorlock!) what it started raining...
- Cool Gate: Coolness is debatable (due to camouflage) and it only opens whan the moon is visible and where it leads exactly depends on the moon phase. But it will get you transported to another planet, so... The mist also works as a one way portal from the island to continent.
- Dem Bones: Inhabit the dead world.
- Dead Man Writing: The journal.
- Deadpan Snarker: Juhani has developed a lot of snark after his ordeal.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Marcus, to Sanna. He's not her type.
- The Ditherer: Sanna just can't decide what she wants. Neither can Marcus, really.
- Endless Daytime / The Night That Never Ends: The dead planet is tidally locked. Life is only possible in the perpetual twilight zone.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Even the plants are mean on the dead world.
- Fantastic Drug: The wine is either a potent hallucinogen, or makes you relive a random past event.
- Fantastic Flora: Glowing berries and guardian oaks of the dead world. And those fungi...
- Freak Out!: Yue has a minor one over the possibility of having been mind-controlled.
- Fog of Doom: All water in the dead world is dangerous, even the mist.
- He Knows Too Much: Said by Juhani almost word-for-word.
- Jerkass Gods: Caused the dead world'd death, because humans asked too many questions.
- Narnia Time: Time and aging in the dead world are magically slowed.
- Nerd: R2 functions on Star Wars, Internet and all the things electronic, is a professional programmer and wears Nerd Glasses. Marcus and Juhani like their ShoutOuts a lot, too.
- Mind Manipulation: Mordolarg might have it. Or so The Old Man says. He seems to control the fungi and the undead.
- Misplaced Wildlife: Plot point. The glow worm came from another world.
- Mundane Utility: Discover a portal to another world, what do you do? Pick magical glowing berries to make wine. The island where the berries grow is a nice picnic spot, as well. Also, a mecha is used for a signal flare.
- Murder Water: Due to the essence of Mordolarg in it, the dead world water is very poisonous. Safe water only comes from guardian oaks.
- Must Have Nicotine: R2 smokes habitually.
- Leaking Can of Evil: Mordolarg, while sealed, keeps causing trouble.
- Living Statue: The guardian mechas are overgrown with moss and still capable of kicking some undead ass, even on autopilot.
- Peaceful in Death: The Old Guy dies content, having been able to return to the our world island and reunite with his brother, who's buried there.
- Trapped in Another World: Marcus and Juhani, which is how they meet The Old Guy.
- Transdimensional Travel for Fun and Profit: How Juhani's family became so rich - they sell the wine in China.
- They Would Exploit the Dead World for Weaponry
- Small Girl, Big Gun: Technically, the gun is carried by a mecha. But R2 couldn't fit inside, so it's a smaller Yue piloting the mecha. And she loves it.
- The Smart Guy: R2 has good scientific method for figuring the mist out, and is able to build several useful gadgets.
- Strange-Syntax Speaker: The Old Man.
- We Have Been Researching Phlebotinum for Years: Juhani's family has.
- Welcomed to the Masquerade: With a Blood Oath to ensure that the secret of the island stays in Juhani's family.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?: Yue's dream while being cured of the poison is obviously symbolic, but vague.
- What An Idiot: Marcus, there are saner ways to impress girls than walking into the alien mist...
- Unsuspectingly Soused: R2 and Marcus find some old wine in the abandoned cottage and proceed to taste it. A (possibly psychic) drug trip ensues.
- Zen Survivor: The Old Man, Juhani and the most zen of them, Marcus.