is a fantasy webcomic by Nate Piekos
, the guy who also runs the font design Web site Blambot
. It follows the journey of the newly resurrected swordsman Barry the Brave, raised back from the dead by Lily White, the priestess of the local goddess of love. Lily has been chosen by her order
to be the one to stop The End of the World as We Know It
, and she needs all the help she can get.
Started in 2004, Atland
ran every Thursday (except the last Thursday of the month), until the creator concluded it in 2012.
Needs some Wiki Magic
Atland provides examples of:
- Annoying Arrows: The arrow in Fat Naked Berserker's head not only didn't kill him, but gave him the ability to teleport because it turned out to be magic.
- Art Evolution: Natural for a series that ran eight years.
- Ass Shove: The gem that brings Barry back to life only works a certain way...
- Author Appeal: If a woman is of the attractive variety, she's sure to be busty.
- Back from the Dead: Barry, being killed and revived very early in the comic. The means to revive Barry work by a rare artifact, and won't work later.
- Big Beautiful Woman: The Diva, a fat scantly-clad, huge breasted performer who has an equally huge fanbase.
- Black Comedy: Used a few times.
- Body of Bodies: The form the Nameless One takes when it finally shows up.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Probably the only real reason guys like Bruce and Barry are seen as heroes is because sometimes the guy they end up taking out is evil. Barry especially has a pretty decent body count of innocents he killed through his own stupidity.
- Doomed Hometown
- Evil Weapon: The Chimera blade: It communicates telepathically to others asking what they want the most.
- Eye Scream: Inky slashing part of Nodd's face off with a knife.
- Fairy Companion: Inky the thief.
- Fanservice: Plenty!
- Full-Frontal Assault: Fat Naked Berserker.
- Gag Boobs: It's amazing that many of the women of Atland don't suffer from extreme back pain. One standout example is the Diva, it's a miracle she can even walk.
- Gallows Humor: Various people getting killed or horribly maimed are often played for laughs. A lot of victims had it coming, though.
- Idiot Hero: Barry.
- Killed Off for Real: Bruce. No magic butt gem or return trip from hell this time, Word of God is that he is dead for good.
- Last of Her Kind: Lily.
- A Load of Bull: Bruce the Minotaur.
- Master Swordsman: Barry the Brave, who has mastered the styles of The Seven Swordsmen of Atland.
- Ms. Fanservice: Lily for season 1. Vanessa and Kitty for season 2.
- My Eyes Are Up Here: An attempted defense against the medusae was to look at their breasts.
- No Ontological Inertia: Medusae have a petrifying gaze, but Larry returned to normal in the strip right after they were killed.
- Our Dwarves Are Different: They're still bearded, but in Atland, they're marauding maniacal invaders.
- Our Mermaids Are Different
- Our Monsters Are Weird: Tunneling Potato Men, and thats just for starters...
- Rape as Comedy: Fat. Naked. Berserker.
- Scenery Porn: As cartoony as most of the art is, the backgrounds are always stunning.
- Statuesque Stunner: Lily is this, too.
- Stripperiffic: About 90% of the female characters are this.
- The End... Or Is It?: Clarke is tempted by the Chimera blade.
- The Plague: One was creates as a curse by medusae, while later in the comic, there's a more general plague (and Barry throws a healthy old lady into the plague pit).
- World of Buxom: Any woman over the age of 18 is STACKED!