Anime News Nina
is a webcomic
created, written, and drawn by Robin Sevakis and is found on the Anime News Network
website. Beginning in October of 2007, the comic follows the day-to-day experiences of Nina, a "news elf" who has just been assigned by ANN to learn everything about anime
and considers it her "reason for living"
. Needless to say, Hilarity Ensues
, as is expected with the often unpredictable world of anime, manga, their fanbase, and everything else associated with it. Joining her on her "mission" are Kevin, a somewhat stereotypical fan (though certainly better than other types) who is well-versed in otaku culture, and Paola, who is somewhat of the more "straight man" compared to Kevin though she certainly has her quirks as well
Beginning as a weekly comic, it eventually turned into a three-a-month release, but long hiatuses are fairly rare and often are filled by guest-written/drawn strips. Robin's work as a whole is well-praised by the fans on ANN and the comic has passed 100 comics and shows no signs of stopping for now.
Anime News Nina provides examples of:
- Aluminum Christmas Trees: The merman ornaments Grandma Rosa gives to the girls really do exist. And yes, they look every bit as ugly in real life.
- Animesque: Well, duh....
- Arch-Enemy: Seth the Indie Comics elf considers Andy the Superhero Comics elf as this.
- Art Shift: Usually when referencing another series.
- Berserk Button: You name it, manga cows, ignorant non-fans, mean people on Pictochat, increasing prices of stamps, etc., all of them have set Nina off big time. Kevin and Paola both have their moments as well.
- Bishōnen: Asleep on Valentine's Day, Nina has a dream of Kevin in this form. Upon awakening, she curiously goes to visit him, unfortunately Reality Ensues.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: Kevin accidentally buys a bootleg that inevitably has this sort of "quality". Nina can't resist watching it and as a result her speech becomes just as nonsensical.
- Cassandra Truth: The doctor is not amused by Nina honestly telling her what Myoopi's poop is candy
- Clothing Damage: Parodied here.
- Crash into Hello: Subverted here and here.
- Curse Cut Short: In the strip with the Mermen ornaments, cuts off Kevin's confused reaction.
- Daydream Believer: Megan believes she's Miaka from Fushigi Yuugi.
- Death Glare: "The Guru", also known as Bill, is a master of this trope.
- Double Standard: Kevin is guilty as charged.´
- Fangirl: A whole slew of them attack Nina when she fails to recognize voice actor Jerry Morgan.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Nina, Seth (the news elf of indie comics) and Andy (the news elf of superhero comics) put aside their differences and unite to stop a movie version of The Family Circus from being made.
- Hot Blooded: Nina uses this to try to convince the post office employee that she can find a way to stop the increasing price of stamps. It doesn't work.
- Hypocritical Humor: Kevin laments the over-marketing of zombie products...only for the comic to end in a panel so full of Zombie Tropes even somebody who is only familiar with the fringes of zombie tropes can recognize them.
- Jerkass: Jerry Morgan.
- Memetic Mutation: In-Universe example. Kevin tries to explain the phenomenon to Nina.
- Moe Anthropomorphism: Parodied here.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Nina shows even scars caused figurine-opening, of all things, can be made "epic".
- Nightmare Fuel: In-Universe example. Myoopi experiences this when he sees a pinata smashed to bits.
- Nipple and Dimed: Inverted. Apparently, an attraction for a Neon Genesis Evangelion theme park is Asuka's nipple...just the nipple.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: Shown here. Nobody seems to notice career women wear Fanservice-y clothing.
- Only Six Faces: Parodied.
- Otaku: Nina shows how even people like her can be "well-rounded".
- The Rival: Seth the Indie Comics Elf.
- Salaryman: Nina mistakenly assumes one of these is just a cosplayer.
- Shōnen: Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX is a parody of this, along with its many traits.
- Shōjo (Demographic): Nina shows how it's done.
- Shout Out: No big surprise, it IS a webcomic focusing heavily on anime. Neon Genesis Evangelion, Mushishi, Berserk, Ah! My Goddess, Initial D, you name it, it's been referenced.
- Show Within a Show: Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX. Has become very popular and frequently "discussed" on the forums, to the point of practically becoming a non-character version of the Ensemble Darkhorse.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Jerry Morgan.
- Take That: One plotline deals with Hollywood making a movie out of Family Circus. Nina, who has never heard of it before, reads one comic and goes berserk upon being told it's been like this for over 50 years.
- The Talk: Nina mistakes Paula's question regarding her origin (since, you know, Nina is an ELF) and begins to do this.
- Voice Actors: Jerry Morgan is not exactly the shining example of these guys to say the least.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl: Nina.
- X Meets Y: American "history" meets anime "history".
- Yandere: Megan is definitely a version of one.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Grandma Rosa. Secretly.
- Your Head A Splode: Nina begins her training to achieve this skill here.