Meet the Cast! (Jesus not present)
Ever wondered what Seinfeld
would be like if its main characters were an Alien
and a Predator
and featured a lot of absurdist humor?
...yeah, didn't think so. Even so, it would look a lot like this webcomic.Alien Loves Predator
is a photo webcomic created by Bernie Hou that revolves around the strange lives of Abe (the Alien)
and Preston (the Predator)
, portrayed by Alien and Predator action figures. Contrary to the adversarial nature shown between the two species in a certain other franchise
, these two are best friends and roommates living in New York City
. Equally contrary to what you'd expect, their lives are amazingly mundane, causing several jokes to rely on observational humor centered around aspects of day to day life in NYC, which has granted the strip several comparisons to Seinfeld
. Of course, every so often the inherent weirdness of the strip's universe kicks in, leading to stuff like a talking tattoo of William Hung
, a sentient smell
, time traveling Chinese takeout deliverymen, among others.
It stopped updating on June 2, 2011 and is currently on hiatus due to the writer dealing with another project before continuing the series.
The strip doesn't have much of a supporting cast, though they often play big parts in story arcs. This cast includes Corinne, a psychic whose "blurry second sight" leads to inaccurate predictions; Abe's mom, an (of course) Alien Queen that doesn't think much of her son and Jesus Christ, star baseball player for the New York Mets.
...yeah, it's a weird comic. Pretty funny, though.
Contains examples of the following tropes:
- Aborted Arc: The Alternate Universe storyline has been put on hold because the writer felt that it was sprawling too much.
- Alternate Universe: The current story arc is set in one where extraterrestrials are persecuted due to the policies of the first black President of the United States: Will Smith.
- Amusing Injuries
- Big Applesauce
- Casanova Wannabe: Abe, big time.
- Catch Phrase: "What a great idea! I can see no downside." Really, Abe?
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Abe
- Cluster F-Bomb: And thus, Preston's favorite word is revealed.
- Invisible Streaker: Played with — Preston's cloaking device doesn't affect his glasses or clothes, but he fails to realize this, and doesn't understand why people can see him.
- Jewish Mother: Abe's mom, despite being an Alien Queen without her religion being mentioned, has all the characteristics. Hey, his name is even Abe!
- Killed Off for Real: Abe's Mom, Theo, and B.O.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Abe, though he has yet to succeed.
- Mundane Fantastic: Surreal elements aside, the comic's world is identical to ours, with the same politicians, products, etc.
- Not so Above It All: Preston really tries to keep straight but sometimes the sheer insanity of events overwhelm him.
- Pals with Jesus: he even shares an appartment with the two protagonists in the first chapters.
- Photo Comic
- Power Perversion Potential: Abe lampshades Preston's cloaking device by saying he would love to use it to peek in Girls' locker room:
Preston: You already do that.
Abe: How long do you think "Sorry I am an alien I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be there" will work again ?
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Do not- Smoke- The Christmas Tree!
- Running Gag: Abe's disastrous attempts at speed dating.
- Schedule Slip: The strip has gone on hiatus several times (Hou's wife had twins), but it seems to have gone back on track. For now.
- Straight Man: Preston, for the most part.
- This Is Going To Be Huge: Back in the 90s, Abe had the unfortunate idea to invest his college textbook money in shares of Pets.com
- Your Mom: one of Abe's favourite insults.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Abe gets a pretty good one for shoving his mother's boyfriend off the Empire State Building.