In 2009, Robin Burkinshaw launched his blog-styled webcomic about a family he made in The Sims 3
. Inspired by the Poverty Challenge invented by players of The Sims 2, he made two Sims and placed them into a lot made to look like an abandoned park, took away their remaining money, and then watched over them, seeing if they could survive. These two Sims were Alice, a kind young girl who suffers from low self-esteem
, and Kev, her hot-headed insane father who hates children
and is desperately searching for love.
Not only did they survive, but the unique interaction of Sims 3
's interactive neighborhood features gave the story unexpected twists and developments. It quickly gained a following as Roburky followed both of their lives and their search for love and a home.
You can read it here
This series includes examples of:
- Abusive Parents: As her father has the Hates Children, Insane, and Mean-Spirited traits, it leads to him picking fights with Alice and making fun of her frequently.
- All Of The Other Sims: Alice is a smelly Loser, which repulses other Sims.
- Arc Symbol: The Yeti in people's thoughts, in reference to Kev.
- The Atoner: Subverted. As the end of his life approaches, Kev seeks out old acquaintances to say a few last words — it turns out he just wants to insult them again. Except one.
- Bi the Way: Kev. The player was surprised to see Kev flirt with anyone, even if it was mostly women.
- Bittersweet Ending:
- Kev makes peace with Alice and then dies in his sleep. Alice has been truamatised by her rough childhood, but with her abusive father gone she should be able to move on and have a relatively good life.
- Casanova Wannabe: Kev. His Ambition in life is to have girlfriends and be loved, but since he's has many undesirable Traits, most sane Sim women want nothing to do with him.
- Child Hater: Kev, as in it's a literal trait of his.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Zedadias has the Childish trait, which means he likes doing things like playing tag, making faces, and being silly as a teenager.
- Crazy Homeless People: Kev. Alice is also homeless but not crazy at all.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Alice has the Unlucky and Clumsy traits, meaning she's always tripping over her own feet or breaking things.
- Dirty Old Man: Kev becomes this after becoming an Elder
- House Amnesia: Kind of. When Alice is a child, Kev asks her to leave the room when they are both outside.
- Jerkass: Kev, who never stops delighting in tormenting Alice or insulting people.
- Kavorka Man: Kev can be this at times
- Lethal Chef: Alice, who has no skills to speak of having grown up in a park.
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: Kev, since he looks for love in every place.
- Machinomic: Probably the foremost example amongst the Sim community.
- Missing Mom: From a game-mechanics standpoint, she never existed. In-universe, it's likely that she died when Alice was very young. If you're up for a bit of Fridge Brilliance, the only person who ever seemed to love Kev was the ghost woman.... (That person died of hunger, by the way. You can tell by her ghost’s coloration.)
- Mood-Swinger: Kev. He has the Inappropriate, Insane, and Hot-Headed traits, which means he's likely to go from laughing hysterically to screaming violently at the drop of a hat.
- Nice Guy: Zedadias. He's one of the only people who is genuinely kind to Alice.
- Parental Abandonment: The missing mom, above.
- Pet the Dog: Kev helping Alice with homework.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Kev spends his last days dishing these out to people he hates.
- Schedule Slip
- Throw It In: In an unorthodox example, virtually all of the events in the game happened without the author's control. All he did was take a step back and watch the story unfold. Sometimes this requires liberal interpretation of why a character does something.
- Video Game Caring Potential: Yes, indeed. Of course, the entire Sims franchise is founded on players getting invested in their sims.