"Another day," thought Bear, "of mind-shattering executions."A Lesson Is Learned but the Damage is Irreversible (that's the full title; just A Lesson Is Learned for short) is a webcomic written by Dale Beran and drawn by David Hellman.A Lesson Is Learned is a Dada Comic, with occasional shades of Sci-Fi, life embellishment, and meta. There is little continuity between installments, and the authors are the only recurring characters (except for a couple of two-parters). Topics range from a gun that can harm only your true love to a yeti imparting relationship wisdom; from an afterlife accessible only by self-immolation to a man who is granted a wish every time he has a suicidal thought.David also produced all the artwork for Braid, which has to explain something somewhere.It can be found here. Thankfully, the archive is still binge-able, complete with comments from Dale and David, some of which themselves jump off the deep end.As of December 10, 2012, A Lesson Learned has returned.
A Lesson Is Learned but the Damage is Irreversible contains examples of:
- Infinite Canvas: Not abused as much as Dresden Codak, but still used on most of the comics.
- Mad Scientist: Paul shows a definite leaning toward the mad here
- Mind Screw: If you can make any sense of what I can only assume is some kind of allegory in Dale's author blurb below this comic, please let me know. Also, most of the comics themselves.
- Odd-Shaped Panel: Used to great effect here
- Orphaned Series: Regrettably so.
- And now it is back.
- Or Was It a Dream?: "Will we ever arrive?"
- Replacement Goldfish: "Caroline's Doppelganger" Bonus: is that the Doppleganger or her view on the right?Father: Darling, you can't spend every day searching for your real self. You'll waste living the pale reflection of her life!
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: On the moon, bitch!
- Unsound Effect: GASOLINE
- Viewers Are Geniuses: Oh my, yes.