Web Video: Y: Ruler of Time
Y: Ruler of Time (Nikolas Freeman) is a manga reviewer for That Guy with the Glasses and LordKat Live. On TGWTG he has a review show called Read Right to Left, with many explanatory notes about manga tropes and Japanese culture, and a newer show called Small Page, Big Screen where he looks at movie adaptations of manga. On LordKat Live he hosts the podcast Weekly Manga Recap with RolloT and occasional guests. Also an avid fan of this very site, which he references regularly. Can be found here, here, here and here.
- Artistic License – Religion: He stated that Christianity was founded in Europe, while it was technically founded in the Middle East. This is understandable since it spread throughout Europe early on. He also stated earlier that he knew very little about Christianity outside of popular culture references.
- Badass Beard
- Berserk Button: It was pushed hard when he learned of Dragonball Evolution calling ki attacks airbending, and it took a punch from LordKat to knock him out of it.Ruler: WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS HYPER-CONDEMNED SHITCURB OF A MOVIE?!
- He also loves to bash Prince of Tennis and Naruto at every opportunity.
- His reaction to Rollo T calling Gantz a Shonen Series during Weekly Manga Recap is something to behold.
- And, of course, don't call Avatar: The Last Airbender an anime. Just don't.
- And now, Bleach and Tite Kubo. However it's because Bleach was the first manga series he read and was angry to see it going bad.
- The revelation that "Old Man" Zangetsu was actually a representation of his Quincy powers led to a LONG rant on Weekly Manga Recap. He was not happy.
- Manga involving bad parenting does not amuse him.
- He SNAPPED when he got to the last five chapters of Usagi Drop.
- Kazumasa Hirai, after reading Wolf Guy and the second half the Spider-Man manga.
- Frosch from Fairy Tail, as his entire character is agreeing with people with the same line "Fro thinks so too!"
- Catch Phrase: "Until then, forget what they taught you in school and always read right to left."
- "And feminism marches on..."
- Crossover: With Jew Wario in one issue of Read Right to Left, to review (the Sentinel chapters of) Franken Fran.
- Curse Cut Short: His reaction to not being in the TGWTG Year One Brawl.
- Deadpan Snarker: Many of his analysis include very funny lines without cracking in the middle.
- Failed a Spot Check: The review of Alive ends with the lights going on and a masked man with a knife sneaking into his room. When he turns the lights back on, he looks around the room and somehow misses the masked man even though he's standing in plain sight not even bothering to hide.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: Just look at the opening to RRTL!
- Flat "What.": His reaction to news of a Warner-developed live-action Bleach movie.
- Fridge Brilliance: Invoked. Both on his Twitter accound and on Weekly Manga Recap he points out that the Epilogue of Naruto has a lot of logic regarding to the future of many of the characters (like Shino being the teacher, who married who, etc.)
- Heel Realization
YRoT: *Facepalm* "This series is sustained by the fangirls..."
- When wondering how Prince of Tennis got almost 400 chapters in Jump, he suddenly realized it's because of the Fanservice and the girl readers.
- Hot-Blooded: This is the man who almost broke his mike through shouting when Sasuke reappeared in Naruto.
- Heroic BSOD: The end of Prince of Tennis 3.
- Lame Pun Reaction: In his Franken Fran review: When talking about how Sentinel Vengeance III's vengeance fetish cost him the chance to finish the other Sentinels, he says that "from there, the problem keeps *raises a finger* cumming up !". He then weakly laughs before Jew Wario says he should be ashamed of himself, to which he admits he is.
- Lesser Star: Has become this for Weekly Manga Recap as of late, thanks to the Weekly Shonen Jump podcast remembering RolloT more, almost to the point of acting like there's two RolloT's hosting the podcast.
- Lost in Translation: Touches on this in his review of School Rumble.
- Misaimed Fandom: Addressed in-universe by Y Ruler of Time in "Reaction Shots" with various series:
- Rated M for Manly: His Top 5 Badass MAN-ga Characters list.
- Rooting for the Empire: Invoked, when he mentions that some of the villains in One Piece are so good they almost make him want to root against the Straw Hats.
- Straight Man: To Rollo T whenever they're in a podcast together.
- Unfortunate Implications: Y Ruler of Time points this out in the manga Alive when the supervirus they're dealing with came from Africa after a man ate a monkey and they call the virus Black.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?: Referenced in his Lets Bible review. (The said manga itself is also an example.)