"It seemed a little far-fetched, but Harry is pretty honest and that thing is very tall."
— Hugo, X Mandelbrot
Yet another YouTube
series based on The Slenderman Mythos
Hugo, an Ordinary High-School Student
is investigating the disappearance of his twin brother, Harry, with the help of his friend, Travis. Before his disappearance, the very Genre Savvy
Harry was attempting to write a song about our resident thin gentleman
before he started getting stalked. Harry documented his experience through heavily encrypted video diary entries. Hugo and Travis are now attempting piece everything together.
The series has a YouTube channel
and a Facebook page
"X Mandelbrot" provides example of:
- Breather Episode: The seventh video is entitled "(attempted) Breather Episode."
- Crazy-Prepared: Harry somehow managed to get a Colt Python to defend himself.
- Cross Over: It seems Hugo may be trying to start one, judging by a comment he left on an Everyman HYBRID video.
- Deadpan Snarker: Harry's reaction to the disturbing videos he was Emailed?
"You probably think you did a good job scaring me with those videos. That's cute."
- Fanservice: Harry frequently doesn't wear a shirt in his videos. Justified though, as it's often night time, and some people don't wear shirts to bed.
- Later lampshaded by Hugo who in "Sleep Recording", said:
"I've heard people talking about how Harry never wears a shirt in these videos. You're lucky he's even wearing pants here!"
- Genre Savvy: Harry is (was) very aware of being in a situation much like that of Everyman HYBRID and even mentions them by name. His song is what seemed to get Slendy's attention.
- Ordinary High-School Student: All of the characters were this. Until Slender Man got involved.
- Police Are Useless: Said almost word for word by Hugo in "Maine".
- Last Note Nightmare: "Harry's Tapes Part 2" ends with some highly distorted coughing.
- Shout-Out: Mostly provided by Harry, who mentions Doctor Who and says "Fezzes are cool." as well as various Slender Man Vlogs.
- Wham Episode: "Judgement", Hugo and Travis explore a place Harry visited, they are soon being shot at by some unknown attacker. When they return to Travis's family's camp, Slenderman is waiting for them. Hugo then explains that him and Travis no longer have any doubt that this is indeed Slenderman they are dealing with.