Science and Education for the win!
Thunderf00t (aka: Phil Mason) is an atheist YouTube
He is famous for his series of videos Why Do People Laugh at Creationists?
where he lampoons the Young Earth Creationists; in addition of those he has also made scientific videos and exchanges between fellow video bloggers.
channel can be found here
, and his web blog here
Tropes associated with Thunderf00t:
- Arch-Enemy: Venom Fang X. At least back when the latter was a bit more active on youtube.
- These days, he's locked in mortal combat against professional feminist Rebecca Watson.
- Artistic License - Economics: While he is very professional and knowledgeable in the field of his expertise such as biology and physics, his understanding on economic concepts such as the definition of what a 'free market' stands for was questionable at best.
- Berserk Button: Publicly badmouth science and education and it's guaranteed that he will deliver several verbal beat-downs on you.
- Likewise he reacts very strongly towards anything that approaches censoring free speech.
- Broken Pedestal: P.Z. Myers became this for him, after a falling out with him because of several disagreements on the topic of feminism and the censoring of dissent, which culminated on P.Z. expelling Thunderf00t from FreeThoughtBlogs right after he was invited.
- Deadpan Snarker: Oh yes, to show how ridiculous an argument can be.
- Fauxtivational Poster: He is very fond of using them to get points across.
- Face Palm: He does this a lot, whenever he hears asinine arguments, usually using a Fauxtivational Poster.
- Fun with Acronyms: His personal brand of atheism is called PEARL, which stands for Physical Evidence And Reasoned Logic.
- Humiliation Conga: Famously he delivered one to Christian vblogger VenomfangX, after several exchanges which culminated with the latter unfairly DMCAing Thunderf00t's videos, the counterattack was epic.
- I Did What I Had to Do: His explanation of his actions after being expelled from FreeThoughtBlogs, in which he published and forwarded the emails of the FTB private backchannel where the members discussed and plotted on how to ruin the careers and lives of all those who had said critical things about FTB.
- Implied Death Threat: Infamously, he received one from Muslim video blogger Dawahfilms, after several videos Tf00t made critical of Islam.
- Jerkass Has a Point: While many people, like fellow video bloggers AronRa and C0nc0rdance among others, have manifested discomfort on the way he answers some critics, they invariably concede that his points are solid and well-thought.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He has low tolerance for nonsense, but his recognition of good work like the one of Dr Mad Science's video certainly brought a tear to many people.
- Letters 2 Numbers
- The Mean Brit: He has British accent, and is a mean Deadpan Snarker.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Several videos deal with seemingly mundane things like explosions of potassium and water, and then he starts showing how interesting are the chemical mechanisms involved and pointing out at unanswered questions.
- Omni Disciplinary Scientist: He is very knowledgeable and professional in hard sciences like physics, chemistry, biology, and mathematics.
- One of Us: See Shout-Out below, he is a also an avid player of Unreal Tournament.
- Poe's Law: He has invoked this law several times:
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: He has taken issue on what he perceives is an increasingly whiny attitude towards speech that might be considered "offensive", mainly because of the censoring of free speech that would ensue and that the best counter to a stupid/hateful argument is to rebut it and, if necessary, ridicule it, not suppress it.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: He does this quite a lot to Creationists, radical (and not so radical) Feminists and anyone who gets into an argument with him.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: His avatar is a bunny. This represents one of his key talking points against creationism: where are the fossil bunnies in the Cambrian?
- Science Hero: Himself, there are videos of him recording the Transit of Venus, Jupiter and its moons and many other things.
- Shout-Out: He is shown to be a fan of:
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Do hot girls have all the advantages? Dedicated to Ana Kasparian of The Young Turks.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Oho boy.
- Uranus Is Showing: Looking at URANUS!
- What the Hell, Hero?: The reaction of some of his fans to his actions of publishing and forwarding the private mails of the FTB backchannel (especially when it involved using a security loophole to regain access to it), see I Did What I Had to Do.
- The World Is Just Awesome: Earth: Our Hauntingly Beautiful Spinning Home in the Cosmos