Web Video: There Are Monsters
There Are Monsters
is a short film about a quiet Canadian town where strange things are happening. It includes encounters with a Creepy Child
hanging out in the main characters' backyard (the page image) and a very
friendly convenience store clerk with bloody fingers and a Nightmare Face
smile. Makes frequent use of Nothing Is Scarier
and is considered by many to be scary.The whole thing is available
. If you do check it out, please add to this page if possible.
Contains examples of:
- Body Snatcher: Or something.
- Breather Episode: More like a breather few minutes.
- Canada, Eh?: The setting. Averted insofar as lack of stereotypical Canadianisms such as "aboot", or the ubiquitous (and trope-title-inspiring) "eh?"
- Cheshire Cat Grin: In the scariest way possible.
- Cluster F-Bomb: The husband drops several F-bombs, with "Jesus fuck! Who the fuck are you!?" being the most prominent.
- Creepy Child: The little girl in the backyard. She's not human. She comes back at the end.
- Jump Scare: Two major ones: the little girl on the deck, and the wife at the very end.
- Nightmare Face: Twice, not counting the Cheshire Cat Grin face.
- Nothing Is Scarier: It's never made clear exactly what the monsters are doing to the humans they attack, which leaves us a nice blank spot to mentally fill with the worst shit we can imagine.
- Paranoia Fuel: To the extreme. You'll never look at a particularly wide smile or a lone child the same way again.
- P.O.V. Cam: Used occasionally, from the POV of the girl-thing.
- Title Drop: "I remember thinking, 'There are monsters. They are coming to get me.'"
- Would Hurt a Child: It's implied that the kids who were messing around in the convenience store were killed/eaten/possessed/whatever.