Web Video: There Are Monsters
There Are Monsters is a short film about a quiet Canadian town where strange things are happening. It includes encounters with a Creepy Child hanging out in the main characters' backyard (the page image) and a very friendly convenience store clerk with bloody fingers and a Nightmare Face smile. Makes frequent use of Nothing Is Scarier and is considered by many to be scary.The whole thing is available on YouTube. If you do check it out, please add to this page if possible.
Contains examples of:
- Body Snatcher: Or something.
- Breather Episode: More like a breather few minutes.
- Canada, Eh?: The setting. Averted insofar as lack of stereotypical Canadianisms such as "aboot", or the ubiquitous (and trope-title-inspiring) "eh?"
- Cheshire Cat Grin: In the scariest way possible.
- Cluster F-Bomb: The husband drops several F-bombs, with "Jesus fuck! Who the fuck are you!?" being the most prominent.
- Creepy Child: The little girl in the backyard. She's not human. She comes back at the end.
- Jump Scare: Two major ones: the little girl on the deck, and the wife at the very end.
- Nightmare Face: Twice, not counting the Cheshire Cat Grin face.
- Nothing Is Scarier: It's never made clear exactly what the monsters are doing to the humans they attack, which leaves us a nice blank spot to mentally fill with the worst shit we can imagine.
- Paranoia Fuel: To the extreme. You'll never look at a particularly wide smile or a lone child the same way again.
- P.O.V. Cam: Used occasionally, from the POV of the girl-thing.
- Title Drop: "I remember thinking, 'There are monsters. They are coming to get me.'"
- Would Hurt a Child: It's implied that the kids who were messing around in the convenience store were killed/eaten/possessed/whatever.