The Philip Defranco Show, hosted by Philip Defranco on the YouTube channel sxephil, is a irreverent "newsy-type" program, with a new episode every Monday through Thursday plus occasional bonus weekend content. Often posted with a thumbnail of an intentionally attention-grabbing and misleading hot girl and and equally misleading title, the show rarely takes itself seriously.In every show, Phil picks three to five current news items and gives each of them a brief (1-2 minute) treatment, with his own, frequently acerbic, opinions and commentary added on. Interspersed with these are recurring segments like "Today in Awesome", where he highlights something cool that he's found; "BAMF/Douchebag of the Day", where he discusses particularly heroic and/or vile individuals; and "Sexy Time News", where he shows photos or video of an attractive woman (or occasionally man). Each item is accompanied by a link in the description to further details. Finally, Phil asks a Question of the Day and invites audience participation via the comments section, with a selection of comments from the previous day's show displayed at the end.The Philip Defranco Show, or PDS, has become popular enough over its multi-year run that Defranco has been invited to do news shows at various political events, including the Republican and Democratic National Conventions. It has spun off additional channels, such as SourceFed (multiple daily news videos), SourceFed Nerd (like SourceFed but for games, movies, and tech), and ForHumanPeoples (a variety channel as well as the name of his merch company).
Tropes associated with The Phillip Defranco Show:
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: From the October 13, 2011 show, when talking about collecting items from a car after an accident:"You know, I got a tire jack, I got some magazines, some CDs, 31 condoms filled with semen, and my checkbook."
- Catch Phrase:
- Chivalrous Pervert: Phil loves the ladies. For proof, look no further than the "Sexy Time News" segment of the show, or the Nation is Sexy posts on his Tumblr.
- Even Evil Has Standards: When discussing how young girls actively try to get pregnant to get on the show 16 and Pregnant on the December 8, 2010 show, Phil quips that the show is "so trashy that people waiting in line for Maury are like 'What the fuck...'"
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: The show's iconic news monkey, complete with a squawk during the intro.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: If "Sexy Time News" ever includes two girls together, Phil's tongue can be seen dragging on the floor.
- Only in Florida: The December 13th, 2011 show's Douchebag Of The Day is a 66 year-old lady from Florida who shot her son-in-law. (Of note, Phil is from Florida.)"It's like a douchebag factory, really."
- Once per Episode: Recurring segments include "Douchebag Of The Day"/"BAMF Of The Day", "Sexy Time News", and "Today in Awesome". Rarer segments include "What the F*** [X] people?!"
- Papa Wolf: Some kid with an over-inflated ego used his fans to mass-dislike a YouTube video on Twitter Phil sarcastically tweeted about it, only for the kid to get angry and tweet back but also tagging Child Protective Services. Phil then tore the kid a new one and asked if anyone knew the kid's parents so he could speak with them.
- Too Dumb to Live: During his January 26, 2011 show, Phil showed a video of a man who flattened himself against a railroad track while a train drove over top of him. And thus, the segment we all know and love, "What the F*** White People", was born.
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong?: This is one of Phil's favorite ways to introduce a tragicomic story. As one example: *cuts to picture of explosion* (at 3:09)