Web Video / The Philip DeFranco Show
I love yo faces.
The Philip DeFranco Show
'Sup, you beautiful bastards? Welcome back to The Philip DeFranco Show, and let's just jump into it!
, hosted by Philip DeFranco
on the YouTube
, is a irreverent "newsy-type
" program started in 2006
that uploads daily, with news videos being posted Monday-Thursday, and community videos being posted on the weekend where Phil either opens fanmail or answers questions.
In every show, Phil picks three to five current news items and gives each of them a brief (1-2 minute) treatment, with his own, frequently acerbic, opinions and commentary added on. Interspersed with these are recurring segments like "Today in Awesome", where he highlights something cool that he's found; "BAMF/Douchebag of the Day", where he discusses particularly heroic and/or vile individuals; and "Sexy Time News", where he shows photos or video of an attractive woman (or occasionally man). Each item is accompanied by a link in the description to further details. Finally, Phil asks a Question of the Day and invites audience participation via the comments section, with a selection of comments from the previous day's show displayed at the end.The Philip Defranco Show
, or PDS, has become popular enough over its multi-year run that DeFranco has been invited to do news shows at various political events, including the Republican and Democratic National Conventions. It has spun off additional channels, such as SourceFed
(multiple daily news videos), SourceFed Nerd
(like SourceFed but for games, movies, and tech), and ForHumanPeoples
(a variety channel as well as the name of his merch
Tropes associated with The Philip DeFranco Show:
- Adorkable: If you've ever seen Phil geek out over new Netflix series, movies, games, etc., you know he's this.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: From the October 13, 2011 show, when talking about collecting items from a car after an accident:
"You know, I got a tire jack, I got some magazines, some CDs, 31 condoms filled with semen, and my checkbook."
- Catch Phrase:
- See Signing Off Catch Phrase below.
- "Hello Internets!"
- "Sup, Nation" and more recently, "Sup, you beautiful bastards!"
- "What the F*** [X] people?!"
- "I love yo faces!"
- "Don't be stupid, stupid!"
- Chivalrous Pervert: Phil loves the ladies. For proof, look no further than the "Sexy Time News" segment of the show, or the Nation is Sexy posts on his Tumblr.
- Even Evil Has Standards: When discussing how young girls actively try to get pregnant to get on the show 16 and Pregnant on the December 8, 2010 show, Phil quips that the show is "so trashy that people waiting in line for Maury are like 'What the fuck...'"
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": His original surname wasn't actually DeFranco; it was actually Franchini...
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: The show's iconic news monkey, complete with a squawk during the intro.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: If "Sexy Time News" ever includes two girls together, Phil's tongue can be seen dragging on the floor.
- Happily Married: To Lindsay "Linz" Doty, with a son also named Philip but nicknamed Trey. The two had their wedding in 2015 but actually got engaged in 2013. At one of his live shows, no less.
- I Hate Past Me: Philip really doesn't like his older videos mainly because of how much of a douchebag he was, so much so that when fans come up to him and say that they've been subscribed since 2008 or so, he'll thank them for putting up with him.
- Only in Florida: The December 13th, 2011 show's Douchebag Of The Day is a 66 year-old lady from Florida who shot her son-in-law. (Of note, Phil is from Florida.)
"It's like a douchebag factory, really."
- He also reported on the crazy, bath salt-sniffing, face-eating man from there.
- Once per Episode: Recurring segments include "Douchebag Of The Day"/"BAMF Of The Day", "Sexy Time News", and "Today in Awesome". Rarer segments include "What the F*** [X] people?!"
- Papa Wolf: Some kid with an over-inflated ego used his fans to mass-dislike a YouTube video on Twitter; Phil sarcastically tweeted about it, only for the kid to get angry and tweet back but also tagging Child Protective Services. Phil then tore the kid a new one and asked if anyone knew the kid's parents so he could speak with them.
- Raised Catholic: Phil was raised Roman Catholic, but is now atheist.
- Signing Off Catch Phrase: "As always, my name's Philip DeFranco, you've just been Phil'd in, I love yo faces, and I'll see you tomorrow."
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Loves to take personal jabs at some of the more ridiculous stories he reports.
- Too Dumb to Live: During his January 26, 2011 show, Phil showed a video of a man who flattened himself against a railroad track while a train drove over top of him. And thus, the segment we all know and love, "What the F*** White People", was born.
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong?: This is one of Phil's favorite ways to introduce a tragicomic story. As one example: *cuts to picture of explosion* (at 3:09).
As always, my name's Philip DeFranco, you've just been Phil'd in, I love yo faces, and I'll see you tomorrow.